New guy here, boy what a day this has been

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Darryl Bishop, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Darryl Bishop

Darryl Bishop New Member

I bought a 2002 Ranger today. I hired a mobile mechanic to test it out. I didn't drive it myself. That was stupid on my part. When I finally drove it, after signing 'sold as is". I found the PRNDL12 was out of sequence. That freaked me out. I drove by several transmission places and asked what it was all about. It was around 6pm. Those. guys just wanted to go home. I thought I was going to have to pull the transmission and have it overhauled. Then I found a video on you tube about replacing the shift tube. Another video said that the procedure was relatively easy. it did not look easy to me. But that is a lot easier that pulling a transmission.
    The truck runs good. Even the transmission. It is just out of sequence. Just now I went outside and the dome light in the cabin would not shut off. I finally took the negative cable off the battery and went inside. I got to get up early and re hook the cable so I can let my wife's suv out of the garage. Hopefully the alarm system does not trip me up when I go to start it in the morning.

When you buy an 18 year old truck, like I did, you got to expect to have get your hands dirty. Between this 'new' truck & my old standby 2007 malibu I should be ready for the ASE test before it is all over. That is tongue in cheek btw. I just want to know enough to keep my vehicles legal and on the road.

DB
    somewhere in NW Houston

Mark Ripplinger likes this.
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Mark Ripplinger

Mark Ripplinger New Member

I feel your pain! Overall, the Ranger's a pretty good truck. The YouTube videos are pretty good (some of them), just start taking your dash &column apart, if it gets too complicated, button it up and take it to the shop! Your done light sounds like the little switch on the door frame is malfunctioning or came loose.
    Good luck!

4. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

...right there with ya...I bought my '98 XL in 2012. Been a good truck but the mice got to the engine wiring last winter...still sitting....I've stood on my head fixing wiring problems for too many years....just don't wanna do it, but gonna have to eventually....:confused: