Need some handling improvement

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by Yo'sDad, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Yo'sDad

Yo'sDad New Member

I drove my daughter's 96 Plain Jane std cab, short bed today. Holy cow, she need some handling improvements. Putting new tires on in a couple of weeks which will help some, but the shocks must be totally shot, as I would expect at 190K miles. Guessing suspension and steering bushings are also worn.

My DD is a MINI Cooper which is not helping me relate to the truck. Totally night and day, just need to help her out a bit.

Question: Looking for a recommendation for shocks that are affordable, possible upgraded swaybars. Anyone willing to share their experiences are appreciated.

YD

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. korny351

korny351 Givin' Ford another try

My '93 extended cab has been modified with Bilstein HD shocks on all 4 corners. Major improvement. Also added a 23mm rear sway bar from a junkyard Bronco II and replaced front and rear bar bushings with Energy Suspension poly bushings. Handling is now fun again. I don't expect it'll keep up with your Mini, but you'll notice a vast improvement. The poly bushings will give a more truck-like ride but I wouldn't call it harsh. Total cost probably around $75 to $80 for the bar and bushings. Shocks, maybe $250.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  4. camshaft27

camshaft27 New Member

you can get rancho shocks for around $30 to $40 which are really good shocks. Gaberiels are cheap too, that is wat i have on the front of my 94 supercab and i like how they feel my 15yr old can still dip through corners better then most trucks can lol. the rear sway bar gives you better handling but when the road is slick, it makes it easier for you to slide around.