need help

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by tommy_ranger, Jan 22, 2012.

1. tommy_ranger

tommy_ranger New Member

Hello everyone, just wondering if someone can help. My truck was running fine this morning, then this afternoon on my way home, it started idling rough at the stop lights, I stopped at a friends house then when i started it again, smoke started coming out from the exahust and then water vapor. I checked the oil and it was clean, anyone have any idea, please help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Sounds like a head gasket to me... Check the oil again, and see if you smell any antifreeze in it.

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Check your antifreeze as well. Do an oil change immediately. Do NOT run it before you check everything out. You may crack your heads if you continue to run it.

5. OP
    tommy_ranger

tommy_ranger New Member

oil is ok, anti freeze has needs to be changed, i has rust color

6. OP
    tommy_ranger

tommy_ranger New Member

the top of the reservoir tank popped open earlier, but just thought it came loose

7. OP
    tommy_ranger

tommy_ranger New Member

there has been a gurgling sound when i shut the engine off lately

8. My Dodge Dakota does that when I shut the engine off, but it always has. Oil is probably leaking into your antifreeze and vice-versa, causing the rust color. Change everything immediately, and if the temp goes above where it normally does, it's a head gasket. My dad had to change three of these already on other vehicles, and they were a pain.

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

With the water vapor did it have kind of a sweet smell? And also while it running take the radiator cap off and see if the antifreeze bubbles constantly. Both are signs of either cracked heads/blown head gasket.