Need help with headlight housing mystery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Popranger, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Popranger

Popranger New Member

At least for a first time Ranger owner it's a mystery.

We were going to adjust the headlights (aim them) on my son's '97 Ranger. I popped the hood and looked at the back of the housings. All I see are two black smooth cone shaped pieces on with a couple of threads sticking out of the sheet metal panel. Don't see anything to turn or twist. The lights also are loose and swivel up and down vertically. Standing in front of the truck we can push in on the top or bottom and they point up or down. When it's driven the vibration and gravity points them down until the beams are hitting the ground about 4 feet in front of it.

I looked at pics on an ebay ad and saw there are some black parts with what looks like 4 tabs or lugs like a cross but on our truck all that's sticking out are the little black cone thingies when looking under the hood. Repair manuals also mention clips to remove when removing the housings. The grill is still installed, we didn't remove anything yet. I dont see any clips???

Can somebody help out with this.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

My 96 has basically the same adjusters. They take a small socket... like 5/32" or something. You'll need either tiny hands & a socket wrench or a right angle socket driver with a long handle to get them adjusted.

Sounds like your clips that hold the adjusters in place might be missing... they're black thin metal L shaped & hold the cone shaped pieces with the threaded bolts in place. If the clips are missing, the lights will wobble around on their own & never stay in place or adjust properly.

You could probably make new clips from some thin sheet metal & a dremel or hunt a set at a junk yard.

You shouldn't need to remove the grille to adjust them.

4. OP
    Popranger

Popranger New Member

Thanks for the reponses. It seems the first thing to do is find or fabricate clips. I was confused about the adjusters themselves because they don't appear to have a hex shape to them--just round buttons. It was dusk and I didn't have a light. I'll have a closer look at them in better light. Thanks again.

5. OP
    Popranger

Popranger New Member

I bought clips at the local Ford dealer parts department. Part #F37Z-13N129-A. $4.48 each. Also sold by Northland Fasteners @$4.50 each. Their item #N18263. The Ford dealer is 6 blocks from home so I got them there.