melted

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by AGreager18, Jun 24, 2012.

1. AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

This plugs into my alternator. Does anybody know what it is actually for its a single wire?? Possibly a ground or what???

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I have to guess on this and say ground. What color is the wire itself?

4. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

Yellow and black

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I am trying to look it up, but not getting a straight answer. I think from the design of the plug and from the "off" answers I can see, it may be the connecting wire to the fuse panel

EDIT: All I can find is basically wire harness for the alternator no identification. I believe this is the Ford part number though 5U2Z14S411TA . Rockauto has them, or hit a junkyard

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

I tried looking it up to and couldn't find anything, but because the connector is melted I'm going to ford tmr and getting a new one and i will find out what exactly it is for

7. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I might be wrong but I think it may connect to the solenoid between the battery & fuse box under the hood. Seems like I remember seeing something about there being a connection from the alt to that solenoid.

Since it's just one wire in it, you could just cut it off at the connector & splice in a new (or junkyard) connector & you should be back in business... until it melts again :(

8. rwenzing

rwenzing Bob

Recheck the color code to see if it isn't actually a discolored white w/black stripe.

If wh/bk, it should be the short wire from the 1-wire stator connector to the 3-wire regulator connector (stator and regulator are both are part of the alternator assembly).

9. OP
    AGreager18

AGreager18 Member

U are correct. It's the stator wire. Picked one up from ford today