Manual Shift kit for your Electric Transfer Case!

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Brinker88, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

I have an 02 with the electronic 4WD shift, and it's not working right now. It would be great to have the manual TF Case and to go along with it manual locking / unlocking hubs.
    Has anyone here done anything like that ?

4. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

If I'm not mistaken, they don't make manual hubs for rangers 01+. If you really wanted to convert your hubs you would have to change your front axle along with steering knuckles, tie rods and pretty much your whole front end. When I got mine I just popped off the old hubs and slid the new ones on and I was done. Now a manual transfer case requires quite a bit of work. I havnt done this so I don't really know what needs to be done but I know its a lot of fabrication.

5. 02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

Thanks, Dang it! I figured as much.

Guess I have to fix what I have.

My shift motor on the transfer case seems to work, so it might be the box under the kick plate on the passinger side ?

6. Hurley

Have you checked your fuses? Does your 4x4 light on your dash come on when you flip the switch along with a "click" sound when the light comes on?

7. ryanzander

ryanzander Mud Digger

that t case shifter is TITTIES!

8. 02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

I did check the fuses, I think they are OK. Do you know what fuse(s) to check ? One funny thing with this thing. In the winter (Cold) when I needed it most, it wouldn't shift into 4wd it would just make a clicking noise at the box under the kick plate. If I ran the heat on it for a while it would start to work and I could put it in 4wd as normal. When it would cool off I'd have to do the same thing and it would work. Now in the warm (upsate NY) weather it won't go in at all no matter what.
    I did have to replace my battery a while back, would that cause problems with the the control box under the kick plate ?

9. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* New Member

Replacing the battery would have no effect on the electronic shift. Sounds to me like you need to clean out your hubs. They are vacuum operated, and if they get debris in them, they won't want to engage/disengage. My 03' did it often, after going through large puddles and mud.

Swapping a manual T case in, shouldn't require any fabrication. It should bolt right up. The only fabing involved, would be cutting the hole, and for mounting the bezel/boot setup.

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me:thumbsup:

10. OP
    Brinker88

You are definintely incorrect on some parts. There are very RARE versions of this transer case in some rangers but most manual ones you'll find have the slip yoke front driveshaft.

11. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* New Member

Oh okay. I didn't read the whole thread. I must have missed something. I was talking about the 1354M with slip yoke, being a very straight forward deal. I'm positive they didn't design M50D's and A4LD's differently based on e-shift, or manual. They all have the same t-case bolt pattern.

12. OP
    Brinker88

Yea all ranger/bronco II transfer cases have the same bolt pattern.

13. Hurley

That is a really good idea. If it didn't cost so much I would look into it.

14. C Denny Run*

C Denny Run* New Member

I've found manual t-cases on CL for like $50. Keep an eye out, because they pop up here and there. At my local junk yard they run about $100.

15. Hurley

There is never anything good on CL around me