mag lite

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, May 28, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ive been debating on getting a mag lite ever since i bought my brother one for Christmas. i would be mounting it in my truck using those clips. most likely on the back wall. im thinking of getting a 3 cell one. still debating on the color. i found camo ones but idk if that would go with my interior. which kinds do you guys have/like?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Iv got the best of the best! The 3 D cell one with the LED bulb. Its a-fricken-mazing! Itll light up anything! Just dont look into the bulb or you will prolly go blind instantly lol. Mines kinda plain... blue. Iv never seen a camo one? Itd match my interior lol

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

crap i just lost an ebay auction for one. the guy got it for 13.50.i tried to get it in the last minute but the guy got it before i did. it was a sweet camo one in the army pattern.

5. El Camino Man

$13.50 would be about half price lol. Mine was like $33

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i just saw the same one on ebay for 37 bucks. im so annoyed i didnt win.

7. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Just go buy one! I use mine all the time and in my opinion, having it right freaking now in my hands is worth the extra cost over trying to save money on it off eBay.

Bought mine from a local sporting goods store for about $30. 4D LED in a graphite color. Got a matching 3AA LED as well.

Old picture showing the incandescent Mag's and my old console but you get the point.
    [​IMG]

8. El Camino Man

I like how youve got that mounted. Where do you get the mounts? Walmart lol

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i just went to my local dicks and it was 35 with the batteries. i want to try and find one in a cool design. thats my main reason for looking on ebay. the saving money part is nice also though. and you can find the mounts on ebay for like 10 bucks. thats awesome how you mounted it i might do the same.

10. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

FYI i've gone through 3 of the camo LED mag lights because you can't unscrew the end cap after awhile. for some reason the cap seizes to the body and you're screwed. i've tried heat, a vise and monkey wrench, cuss words, nothing. i now have a black one and it's been fine.

11. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

D mounts were from the same sporting good store. About $5.

AA mounts I found online but at a RIDICULOUS shipping cost. I wanted to buy 3 pairs at $2/pr....shipping was $24. So my friendly local Ace hardware ordered a box for me(and them). Needless to say, I've been buying them and selling them to forum members who want 'em. I've bought like 8 out of the 12 they got for me. They might still have some in case you were interested in the AA mounts.

Cool design?? Enlighten me please...

Pics are nice too. lol.

12. El Camino Man

Hahaha! thats funny right there :thumbup:

13. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

heres the one i really like but i can only find it in the aa model.
    [​IMG]
    then theres digital camo which is the one i will most likely be getting.
    [​IMG]

14. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

HAHA... I forgot about that! My old school, first Mag dad bought me some 15 years ago did the same thing yours did. She was camo too.

Also had an old one's batteries swell up inside. Top Tip: pull the batteries out every once in a while.

Ah gotcha. I forgot about the specialty ones. Both posted are pretty cool. Think I might get the flag AA one for inside the console for the hell of it.

15. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks a lot for the info. im just going to buy a black one. and mount it on my back wall using those clips.

16. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Not a problem.

Little tip: Don't just toss in screws into the plastic. They're likely to strip later down the road or even during install. Remove the plastic you're mounting to. Make a metal reinforcement backing to spread the load and use machine screws for mounting. I used 1/8" plate.

I've had a 4D there since 2004 and the mount is very solid 8 years later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I've got a couple 2D & 3D maglites, I just switched the bulbs to the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB MiniStar5 and they have a lot better light patterns.

I've read reviews on the pre-made maglite led's & they weren't that good, so I just upgraded the bulbs in my old maglites. They're a bit pricey at around $13 per led replacement, but well worth the investment.

Sometimes you can find the 2 & 3d maglites on sale for $12 - $15 around the holidays & even with the led upgrade, they're still cheaper than the maglite led lights.

18. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

what you guys think about mounting it on the a pillar? i dont like that its right next to my head. i dont need a concussion from my maglite if i get in an accident. i also dont like how its so in the open. i would use two of the clips and do the steel system also. i would do it on my back wall but there is really is no spot because my seat belts are in the way unless i put it behind my 60 portion of my seat.

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright guys i got my maglite. its a silver 3d. i found a good deal at home depot where i got a 2aa one a 3d one 2 aa batteries and a holster all for 30 bucks. now i just need to figure out these damn batteries. o i also sliced my finger open while trying to open the package. started gushing blood thank god i had a advance auto parts receipt that i wrapped around my finger to stop the bleeding.

21. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

heres my maglite mount i came up with it. i decided to put it in the tool box since its so big and i have limited room in my standard. im going to put my aa one in my a pillar.
    [​IMG]