lower control arm removal

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by destabrook, May 25, 2013.

1. destabrook

destabrook New Member

I have a 98 ranger 4x4 w/ torsion bar suspension and am in the process of replacing the lower control arm. what is the easiest way to undo the torsion bar? My Chilton is really vague on the subject.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I've used many primitive tooling when dealing with unloading and loading the torsion bar keys. Some of it VERY dangerous. I've come up with a no-special-tool-needed technique...basically relieving everything hanging up the lower control arm.

-remove caliper
    -remove rotor
    -unbolt sway bar end link
    -unbolt shock
    -unbolt CV shaft from bearing
    -unbolt upper ball joint
    -remove torsion key skid plate
    -completely remove torsion bar adjustment bolt

With the lower control arm at full droop, step on it. This will rotate the torsion key up off the nut/keeper block. You may need a secondary person to assist, or you can do it yourself if you loosen the lower control arm bolts. Remove that keeper block/nut, drop the torsion key out of the pocket and slide out your torsion bar.

Install is basically reverse. I use a floor jack to manipulate the LCA angle. And during this process, you'll want the truck on jack stands via the frame.

Hope this helped!