low volts/battery light

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by SalRanger2, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

im just noticing this tonight, battery light came on and the volts gauge is reading in the the green but on the low end. when parked it will be enough to not have the battery light on, when i rev it to 2k the volts go down a bit and battery light comes on. ?
    i cleaned my battery terminals, checked fuses, battery is only a year old. is my alternator taking a dump??

any thoughts is appreciated!!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

it has the stock battery terminal connectors, im thinking it may be them?? ive kept them clean and theyve worked well always. i might get new ones to put on but im thinking it will be a bitch because theres no slack in the damn cables to put new ones on

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well drove for a few miles in the morning and ended up having my guages go nuts and my truck die lol in traffic. had to push it into a parking lot and got a ride from a random person lol. then got an alternator and threw that on right in the parking lot. $125 later and lost time and were back in business haha

5. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

Ok, I do not understand why the engineers do this backwards. I also do not understand why after 20 years of them doing it backwards people still don't get this.

The battery light does NOT indicate a problem with the battery!!!! It means the battery is being discharged.

Hook the volt meter to the battery and unplug the alternator. Start then engine and rev it up above 3K. If your volt reading at the battery doesn't go up to 13.5V you need a new alternator.

6. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

it did need a new alternator u must have missed in my last post i put one in and the problems fixed now. i dont see a problem with a "battery light" i mean what other symbol would make sense to use for a problem with your charging system? lol

7. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

My battery light is on all the time, but thats because of a busted clip on my alternator, the indicator wire likes to vibrate loose. I have an aftermarket voltmeter on my pillar to confirm direct battery voltage vs what the gauge on the dash shows

8. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

oh that kinda sucks but at least you can get an accurate reading still.

9. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I was gonna say it might be the voltage regulator in the alternator going bad... :huh:

It sucks that it crapped out on you on the road, but at least you were able to get it fixed.

I never trusted the voltmeter in my cluster nor the battery warning light. I always run a separate digital voltmeter that gets voltage right at the battery terminal so I can see exactly what's going on.
    Went out to start the truck a week or so ago when it was sub zero for several days & I saw 10v & I knew the battery was dead, cranked the key & only got a few clicks. Luckily it was just the battery & I got a replacement for FREE :thumbsup:

10. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea so it worked out pretty decent today. do you have a pic of the guage and where you got it?
    haha that worked out good for ya then!

11. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

I personally preferred the light that was on my 1978 Oldsmobile Omega.

It was a big red square and in the middle it said "Generator".

See everybody who isn't an engineer sees a "battery" light and says "Oh, there is a problem with my battery!" when really the battery is probable fine and the alternator is the problem.

When you see a big red light come on that says "Generator" or "Alternator", well then you know that you have a problem with the alternator.

12. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I have an analog gauge, here's how I have mine mounted

[​IMG]

13. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

that looks nice, i like that gauge pod

14. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Man I'm waaaaaaaaay behind on checking threads...

Pics of my latest voltmeter mod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The meter wasn't fully seated in these pics, this was just a mock up before I added switches on each side for the dvd/back up camera functions.

15. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Looks sweet man! I used to have a doubledin touchscreen dvd player like you, but after getting 2 of them ripped out of the dash and stolen I've given up. Now I have no radio bezel and no passenger door lock lol! F'n thieves

16. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

very cool! where did u get that buggman ebay?