Low voltage to the EGR ??

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Basshound, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Basshound

Basshound New Member

Hope someone can help me out here. I have a 2001 with the 4.0. Well the check engine light came on a while back and i took it to a parts store to put it on the diagnostic. It said Low voltage to the EGR. Has anyone encountered this? Is it the egr going bad or wiring or someting going to it? Any input would be great.
    I dont believe it is effecting how the truck runs. Maybe affecting fuel consumption? This truck doesnt get very good mileage. What kinda of mileage should i expect from this supercab 4x4? Thanks in advanded any info would be great.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jelly's Ford

Jelly's Ford Riding High in the Saddle

That sounds weird, but I had EGR problems a while back and my problem was that there is actually another sensor that goes with the EGR to make it work correctly. It is located off the EGR about 4" below it on the tube that runs to the EGR. That may be the issue cause it fixed mine right up. However in the gas mileage area, I have 4.0 supercab, 4X4 also with 4.10 gear ratio and I get around 15-15.5 through the city and about 19-20 on the interstate. Of course those numbers also depend on what kind of driver you are and what kind of gas you use, and any bolt on accessories you have also. And another biggie is if your truck is lifted or you are running bigger tires on it than stock will decrease the gas mileage and slow down the speedometer. Hope that helps ya man!

4. OP
    Basshound

Basshound New Member

so it sounds we have the exact same rig. I will try and locate that sensor. Do you happen to have a photo of it ? These newer motors have more sensors and stuff i dont even know what is What.
    I hope that is the problem for my bad mileage. I think the best i have ever gotten was 17 on the Highway.:thumbdown: Was it a spendy part ???

5. Jelly's Ford

I will snap a pic of it in the morning and post the picture asap i.e. tomorrow afternoon when I get off of work. However to my knowledge if my memory was correct the part was around $40. Ha I know what ya mean though. All those dang electronics and sensors get on my nerves. It's not like the good ole days of trucks when most things could be fixed with a quick turn of a wrench while the truck consisted of metal, tires, and a motor haha. That's why I prefer to work on classic trucks and cars.

6. Jelly's Ford

Here's the best pics I could get man. As you can see there is an electrical current being sent to the sensor that goes to the EGR.

First one is just a shot of the EGR and the sensor. [​IMG]

The second is of the top of the sensor.
    [​IMG]

The third is a side view of the sensor. [​IMG]

You can see the proximity of the sensor to the dipstick. Hopes this helps man!

7. OP
    Basshound

Basshound New Member

sweet. That is the one i thought it was. do we know a way to test it ?

8. Jelly's Ford

To my knowledge, no. When the check engine light came on in my truck I hooked up a programmer for the same year F-250 as my truck ( unfortunately you can't tune the Ranger with it...darn), and the programmer gave me a certain code. When I looked at the code definitions in the back of the book it told me it was an emissions problem with the EGR. So I called Ford and they told it was probably just a bad EGR. At the time I was like ok lets just a new one then. I went home and installed the EGR. But still the same problem. That's when Ford told me to take the truck down to them. They must have run a significantly better test than the programmer and told me it was that sensor that I took a picture of. In order to not pay for more man labor, I got the part and installed myself. As soon as I cranked it up the check engine light stayed off. So, answering I have no clue how to test that sensor unless the Ford scan can tell you something different. I am sorry man!