Losing my mind!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolfspiritky, Mar 2, 2009.

1. wolfspiritky

wolfspiritky New Member

While driving in my 87 XLT (2.9 5sp) she "bucked" a couple of times then shut down. Cranks like hell but won't start. No pressure in the fuel rail. I have replaced the relay and pump in the tank: still no start. I removed the fuel line at the pressure regulator and cranked it over....no fuel.

What else is there???:censored:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jon

Jon Administrator

Welecome Wolf...sorry you are having problems. I'm sure some of the more technical members will have some suggestions!

4. OP
    wolfspiritky

wolfspiritky New Member

Buddy of mine found it. Both battery terminals have been replaced. There was a wire that the previous owner did not secure in the clamp on the new terminal that had fallen out. Wire actually looks like an in line fuse. He asked, "What's this wire to", touched it to the terminal and I switched on the key and heard the beautiful buzz of the fuel pump!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. Jon

Jon Administrator

Good find. glad you got it taken care of.

6. Bill

Bill New Member

Bolt on battery terminals are a disaster waiting to happen. Do yourself a favor and replace cables with Ford OEM. You've experienced the shortfalls of that terminal once. Its your choice.

7. Nitrofan1

Nitrofan1 New Member

I've worked in auto parts for 24 years. I recomend always replace the entire battery cable. Those "universal" clamps were meant to be temorary. You will find as previously stated you can't go wrong with OEM. And be sure to keep the charging system maintained and protect the terminals.