Leaking Antifreeze!!!

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Tmwilx, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Tmwilx

Tmwilx New Member

I Have a 2000 Ford. Ranger XLT 4.0L OHV and when I bought it at the auction it has 40,000 miles. I was just looking at it the other day.. you know checking the fluids and stuff (it has not been driven yet) and noticed that the antifreeze reservoir was dry. I put antifreeze in it and started it up and let it heat up. The temperature was perfect and did not overheat at all. But the thing is is I do not see where it is leaking from. Also I could not smell any Antifreeze burning. and the engine sounds fine. Please help

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

check the intake manifold gaskets...the OHV 4.0 has a problem with them leaking

4. OP
    Tmwilx

Tmwilx New Member

Thanks

With the details I've given you doesn't even sound likely that it could be a cracked cylinder head. Everything I've read about that always includes that the oil was milky. And mine is not. And it sounds very good.
    Thanks for the suggestion! !!

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i said nothing about a cracked head....i said intake manifold gaskets....

6. OP
    Tmwilx

Tmwilx New Member

Sorry... I what I was trying to say was do you think it would even have the chance of a cylinder head being cracked

7. henryford

henryford New Member

read what mr clean wrote -if you had a head crack the oil be over fill ,milky =he is on right track ,since your oil looks fine and not over filled or dirty and it isn't a head gasket either

8. Dchad53

Dchad53 Member

Maybe it was just neglected for a long time. Anti freeze level will drop over time. The radiator is a sealed unit but the reservoir
    does not have a seal on it. Over time the fluid level will drop. Just keep an eye on it. If you don't see or smell a leak then you
    might be ok. If you have to add fluid every couple of days the yes you do have a problem. Most of the time if the oil is clean
    and the coolant is clean you're good to go. good luck

9. mhoward

mhoward Member

X2 on what Dchad53 said

10. gasdon

gasdon New Member

Could be timing chain cover behind water pump at bottom where it meets oil pan. Slow leak that is hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk