leaf spring shackle mount

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcdonald58, Sep 22, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ive been hearing this squeaking noise from the back of my truck for a bout a week. so today i walked around the bed and pushed on it until i found it. it turns out my shackle is rusted out completely and its just sitting on my bed. how hard is this to fix? is it even fixable? is the truck safe to drive? ill get some pics tomorrow when its light out.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yes its fixable. ease of fix i would say its a pretty straighr forward fix. grind the rivets out take the bracket off bolt new bracket on and replace the hanger and bolt spring back in.. as far as being safe to drive im not really sure about it being safe to drive or not....

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

any idea on how expensive it will be to have fixed?

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

to have it fixed it could run a couple hundred bucks..... i got the parts to fix it for about 50-75 bucks....

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

wow alright so it was pretty much bolt on?

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

More or less "bolt on". Meaning you're going to run into trouble with seized spring eye bushings. The bolts will NOT come out.

You will most likely end up cutting the bolts off the spring/hanger and end up having to press a new bushing into the spring eye.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

sounds like a huge pita. so it would be something i would be able to do? im not experienced in suspension stuff at all. the most ive done is replace my shocks.

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Is it the shackle or is it the shackle mount ?

Rangers in general have the rear shackle mount rust out !

Have the shop do it, as stated above too many little PITA things that can and probably will need extra work and special tools.
    I had both rear shackle mounts replaced on a ’95 I drove with both springs for under $600.
    $400 for the springs and parts, $200 for labor but again that was both sides.

One more thing, look at the springs and make sure they aren't broken like mine were.

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Check a local 4x4 shop Aiden. I had a 93 xl and I had a shop put bigger leaf packs, shackles and bolts for under 400.00. You may not need the leaf pack but have them looked at anyway. If you cant get a good price PM me the specs on your truck and I will check the prices of my local shop for you and can meet up with you if I order them for you

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im not sure which part it is. i think my friend said spring leaf shackle. the bed is sitting on top of it and it squeaks whenever i hit a bump. i didnt have time to get pics today. im taking it to the school shop to see if we can do anything. its going to be a huge pita since all the heads of the bolts are rounded some arent even there.

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Post some pics of it if you can

13. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright ill get some tomorrow. if the repairs are going to be more than 500 im not sure if i fix it. i might just try and sell it as is.

14. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It shouldnt be too much. Shackles and hangars rotting are a common occurance and somewhat of a cheap fix

15. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got the truck to the shop today and its the shackle bracket and not the actual shackle. i couldnt get pics because i left it at the shop. but i am able to fix it at the shop i just have to order the part.

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i think its called the shackle hanger. does that sound correct? its the bracket that holds the shackle to the frame.

17. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That is a common rot piece. I believe Brad and Cookiemonster just replaced theirs. Cookiemonster had a thread on it along with other fixes. I myself havent done it yet, but from what I have heard, it isn't too bad.

18. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ive got two shackle hanger kits on hold at advance auto that i will be picking up later today. it comes with the shackle hanger, shackle, and the bolts. so hopefully tomorrow ill be able to take out the grinder and get to work on it in class tomorrow.

19. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good deal dude!

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i just found that write up. im sure with the help from my teacher ill be able to do it myself. it was only 28 bucks for the whole kit. i think my goal for tomorrow will be to get the old one off and put some rustoleum over it. since i dont want to have to order por and have to wait for it. then Thursday ill try and get the new hanger on.

21. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

should i use grade 8 bolts or just use the ones that come with the kit?