Ideas for a snorkel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hurley, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Hey guys. I'm thinking about putting a snorkel on my 3.0. I am leaning towards making my own instead of buying one. A member on R/F showed me how he did his and I think I might do mine the same, but it will be a full time snorkel without the gate valve. Anyone have any other ideas or comments?

Here is the link for the snorkel.
    http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=110562

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Here's mine on My SASed F150....Unless you REALLY need one, I highly suggest otherwise....especially on a almost stock suspension. It just looks gaudy

[​IMG]

4. OP
    Hurley

I sucked a little water the other day and that has me scared. That is why I like the idea that the guy from the link has cuz its hidden.

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

A lot of people also route them into the glove box I cant see the link either...I have to join in order to see it.

6. OP
    Hurley

i cant see you getting a very good air flow through the glove box. this one goes into the cowl. thats really gay that you cant see the link. ill see if i can post the pics on here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  7. OP
    Hurley

stole this from a different thread on R/F. its a list of things to water-proof your truck.

"Very true. I cross deep water frequently, but you need to do it knowing what you're facing both in terms of what you're crossing, but also what some of the potential side effects are. Here's some things to remember and some may add to it if I don't note something important:

1. You need to extend your axle, transmission, and transfer case vents up to a higher level. Top of the engine compartment with "reverse traps" (that is, with the tubing bent over so the ends point down) is a good spot.

2. If you go through really muddy water, you can get it packed up in your radiator. Make sure you check it when you're done.

3. If you have an older Ranger with a distributor, that's a really important item to keep maintained and waterproofed. Later DIS ignitions are quite immune to water, but if your wires and boots are crap you can still get shorted out by water. Keep your wires in good shape.

4. Axle, driveshaft, and pinion shaft seals will leak when immersed in deep water sometimes. They weren't really meant for the externally applied pressure of deep water. After you've done some crossing, open your fill plugs and get a sample from the bottom of your diff/tranny/tcase using a tube of some kind. Particulary important to check are the front locking hubs and grease in the spindle. Periodically renew your seals. I do mine every year whether they are bad or not.

5. One more item I think needs to have the vent extended: the charcoal cannister purge inlet. If your engine goes into purge when you're underwater you'll suck water into the charcoal cannister and possibly foul it and the purge valve. This can cause leakage and an inability to pass emissions tests if the emission related drive cycle monitors are checked. You won't be able to hold a vacuum in the fuel system then.

If you want to cross deep water with any regularity you need to have an "inspection program" or one day you're gonna' get bit by a large repair job."

8. buy a boat!!! or an amphibian atv :jester: will not have to worry about sucking up water

I too could not see the link, wants me to join also

9. OP
    Hurley

but how will i tow my boat through a river?

10. the boat should pull itself through the river lol