How would I wire this?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by doyouquaxu, Mar 14, 2012.

1. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Here's the deal:

I currently have a 30" LED light bar for my front bumper. Its white light, and sucks in the dust. I just picked up some amber LEDs i'm going to mount on the front as well. I already have a buggman modded bezel/fog light switch with full harness powering the 30".

What I want to do is wire it so that the fog light switch is the main power, then i have a secondary switch to select the white or amber light.

HOW? Some people have said relays, others say don't bother. What i was thinking of doing is getting a 3 way switch. Have the 'hot' wire from the buggman harness run to the 3 way switch. One way is amber, the other way is white. Thoughts, opinions, and diagrams are welcome.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

my head hurts trying figure that out

4. OP
    doyouquaxu

never mind, i figured it out already!

5. hazard-maine

do share this

6. OP
    doyouquaxu

from the switch in the bezel, when you press a button it sends power through a signal wire to a relay under the hood (connected to the battery, ground, the lights, the signal wire).

the solution now is to send the signal wire to a new switch. from there, you can select white or amber (or splice it to 2 separate switches to select white, amber or both). all i have to do is install another relay harness under the hood, which i conveniently have an extra of from a different set of lights.

i hope that made sense. finals fried my brain, and i've been up almost 24 hours lol. viva redbull

7. hazard-maine

i have an easier idea, get amber lens cover for white led bar

8. OP
    doyouquaxu

its no fun to have to stop driving to get out and put the light covers on.

9. OP
    doyouquaxu

i just sent a PM to buggman to double check that this will work, but i believe it should. normally the fog switches are 'ground switches', but his harness changes that to make them like a normal switch. so i think it should.

10. hazard-maine

it will only take like 5 seconds

11. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

glad u figured it out man. pics when finished please.

12. OP
    doyouquaxu

buggman confirmed that what i said above will work. now i just gotta get the lights mounted, run wiring, and find a place for this second switch.

13. OP
    doyouquaxu

wiring is so fun, except when sh!t doesn't work! i can power up the 30" bar completely fine, but when i flip the new switch i just wired for the ambers nothing happens. no relay click, nothing. tried a new fuse, tried a new relay, different connection for power, no good.

only thing i could think is that my switch is bad, or the signal wire is. hard to tell. but my stupid self put the switch in a place that is great to reach on the outside, but a PITA to get to on the back side. fuc&.

anyone else have any thoughts to what it could be

14. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

could you have miss wired the switch.... i have done that a couple of times....

15. OP
    doyouquaxu

nah, tried that. hooked up the switch in every possible combination. also eliminated the switch entirely. i believe now that the wire used to connect to the amber relay is sh!tty and is the problem.

16. OP
    doyouquaxu

i figured it out. i need to buy more colors of wire or label things better. one of the wires i thought went to the LED bar was actually 12v. the wire i thought was 12v was actually to the LED bar. so thats why i could connect what i thought was 12v and the led they worked, but when i connected what i thought was 12v to the ambers they didn't.

17. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Label things better its cheaper. Lol

18. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I never use relays with LED lighting. Its pointless with the amperage they put out (little to none)

19. OP
    doyouquaxu

yeah but with the buggman fog harnesses, the relays are necessary to get them to work.

20. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Ah gotcha

21. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I didn’t read every word so let me ask, R U up and running ?

R U Running Fog Lights and are they off the same switch/buggman harness ?

Do you have more than one light switch built in the Bezel ?

After the Buggman harness all you need is a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch, one with three tabs on the back, output from the buggman harness to the center pole, amber off one of the others and white off the other.

Relay is not needed except that buggman includes one in his harness.

Make sure all of the grounds are connected to bare metal.

Last edited: May 7, 2012