How To: Rear Drum Brake Replacement - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by ZRanger28, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

I nor rangerforum.net take responsibilty to any harm you do to yourself your truck or anybody around you while performing this repair

WARNING!!!! NEVER WORK ON ANY VEHICLE IN THE AIR WITHOUT JACK STANDS IN PLACE!!!!!

Here we go!

Supplies needed:

rear brake shoes
    rear brake hardware kit

Tools need:

Vise Grips
    Flat head screwdriver
    19mm deep well impact socket
    impact or breaker bar

Special tools: OPTIONAL
    Brake spring tool

[​IMG]

1: Jack up truck and place it on jack stands

2: remove wheel

[​IMG]

you now see this ( i have 10" brakes but 9" are the same )

[​IMG]

3: remove drum

[​IMG]

you now see this

[​IMG]

4: remove blue spring first ( or whatever color yours is just go by the pictures lol)

[​IMG]

5: remove hold down spring ( this requires the vise grip, clamp down on the sliver piece and push in and rotate)

[​IMG]

6: now pull the pad out and down and this bottom blue spring will undo its self 9/10

[​IMG]

7: remove the parking brake lever ( dont lose the anti rattle spring) ( if yours is already gone, dont worry bout it, you dont need it but it helps reduce brake noise)

[​IMG]

8: now remove yellow spring

[​IMG]

keep in mind how this is

[​IMG]

the little silver metal chord will probably fall off also ill get to that later

9: remove the hold down pin and spring

[​IMG]

10: remove the little clip that holds parking brake to pad

[​IMG]

Now this is what you brakes look like ( use this as a reference )

[​IMG]

11: now put parking brake lever back on new pad

12: hook bottom blue spring like this ( remember that silver chord here it is )

[​IMG]

13: Now put the hold down spring and pin back on to hold the shoe in place ( i found putting the little cap like this in the vise grip make it alot easier to put on )

[​IMG]

14:now make sure you route the silver chord like this and put it on first

[​IMG]

15: now put on the yellow spring

[​IMG]

16: now this is the hard part using the other pad get it all back like this ( this takes alot of playing and dont forget to get the star wheel adjuster in place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17: now put the hold down pin and spring in

18: put the upper blue spring in

[​IMG]

19: now using the screwdriver spin the adjuster till you get slight rubbing on the drum and you are golden

here is how u adjust them

[​IMG]

enjoy your rear brakes!

use all the pictures to your advantage and make sure you get it right, and only do one side at a time so you have the other side as a reference

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

nice right up man helps out alot

4. Yes, it does. I still won't touch mine though because they fall apart every time I try... Three months on no back brakes SUCKED! Haha

5. OP
    ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

IT truly is easy lol

just take your time and use the other as a reference and this guide and i assure you, you will get them,

I can now compeltly disassemble and reassemble my rear brakes in under 10 min, I plan on doing a rear disc conversion soon, ill do a write up on my experience with that

6. nice pics and write up~~!!!!!!

7. OP
    ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

thank you!

8. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Awesome wright up man!! Sure this will help a lot of people!!!

9. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

great write up. I might be looking to do this in the future if my drums keep acting up.

10. OP
    ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

if your drums are acting up and u have already tried replacing the hardware. and the problem is still there. its 99% likely your parking brake cables are shot, mine were and if you look in the pictures that really shine piece of metal you see in the later shots are because i put a new parking brake cable in both sides yesterday. now my brakes work better than they ever did!

11. pooleo

pooleo New Member

Its also a good time to replace wheel cyl. :p