How To: Pre '98 coil spring swap

Discussion in 'How-To' started by finn611, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finn611

finn611 happiness is a warm gun

one of my coil springs broke and had had to swap them out, pretty easy job ( less than 2 hours total ) with the twin I beam trucks. Start by jacking the truck up and getting a jack stand under the frame behind the front tire,
    (only picture i have with the jack in it)
    [​IMG]
    then jack up under the axle to compress the spring a little bit, then unbolt the shock and stabilizer,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then you can let the jack down to lower the axle, pop the top of the coils spring out,
    [​IMG]
    Then get a nice ratchet or in my case a nice impact, your going to need a long extension and a 1 1/8 socket, i sprayed everything down with PB blaster to help break everything loose, but for these i needed some heat ( i used a little propane torch for plumbing)
    [​IMG]
    Then get the ratchet/impact on a give it hell and pop the coil spring out,
    [​IMG]
    set the new coil in place and get the retainer and nut back on and tighten the nut back down,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Get the top of the spring back into possition and jack the axle back up to compress the coil spring so you can bolt the stabilizer and shock back up,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    make sure the spring is in the right possition and you should be all set to bolt the tire back up,
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.