How To: 01+ Headlight & Corner removal - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by Hooligan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

In this, you will learn how to remove your headlights and corner (marker) lights on your truck

This work was performed on a 2001 XLT

Tools required:
    Ratchet & 6mm socket

Step 1.
    Open your hood. At the hood latch you will see plastic cowling which covers the gap from the core support to your header panel.
    **04+ models do not have this cowling**
    The cowling is in 3 seperate pieces, Locate the screws which mount the cowling to the header panel. You do not need to remove the center piece!

Passenger side: Two 6mm screws and a plastic push screw
    [​IMG]

Drivers side: Two 6mm screws and a plastic push screw
    [​IMG]

Once unscrewed, remove the cowling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 2.
    Locate the headlight retaining brackets. These are behind the header panel and slide up and down to latch the headlight in place. These latches have an upside down "L" shape...pointed out by the dots.
    [​IMG]

Lift the headlight brackets in an upward motion to unlock your headlight anchor pins
    Lifted brackets:
    [​IMG]

Step 3.

Pull your headlights straight out. You can disconnect the bulb harness by unplugging the male/female connectors or by simply twisting the bulb out.
    If you choose to remove the bulb plugs use the following steps:
    The headlight bulb needs to be moved in a back and forth motion to remove, marker light will twist out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Repeat on the other side

Congratulations, your headlights have been removed!
    Onto the next:

Step 4:
    Removing your corner (marker) lights

Using your 6mm socket and ratchet, remove the 2 retaining screws(pointed out by the dots) holding the marker light assembly to the header panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next pull the corner assembly straight out. At the top of the assembly is an alignment pin which clips into a retaining nut. Just [ull the assembly straight out and it will pop out.
    [​IMG]

Step 5.
    Unplug the marker bulb by twisting it out
    [​IMG]

Repeat on the other side

Congratulations! You have successfully removed your headlights and and corners!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I hate the retaining clips to get the headlights out... I have such a hard time with getting them off even with pliers lol

4. ob269

ob269 New Member

Dude, I want your help with this, but you don't want ti share the hardware too =(

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

what are you doing to your truck ob269?

6. ob269

ob269 New Member

Takin Clintons entire front end and putting it on my truck! 01-03 conversion plus bumper n fogs..

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

ah then the only thing you'll need to get is heads corners and the retaining clips for the headlights......

8. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I have the headlights and corners too

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

you ordered new ones for your swap clinton?

10. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

No, I had these as spares...Yeah...I'll be on Ranger Hoarders soon!

11. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

lol hoarders ranger edition.... hahahahahahahahaha

12. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah featuring me yelling at the Got junk people not to throw my **** out!

13. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

nah it would be like this opening shot of the hooligan the you pointing at the door and then 29 mins of credits..... lol

14. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

lol...