horrible fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by danger, Nov 10, 2009.

1. danger

danger New Member

I recently purchased a used 07 ranger FX4 level 2. I have been driving it for about a week now and have noticed that I only get about 300kms for a 60 litre tank of gas!:eek: My 06 Ranger got about 400-450kms for a tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be going on? Unfortunately I am not so mechanically inclined.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ssbrownsr

ssbrownsr New Member

Gas mileage

To get a good result testing your mileage you must do it over a period of time involving many tankfulls. Everytime you fill up mark down the amount you put in the tank and the mileage. Keep checking it and recording. After a while see if your mpg (kpl) is staying close to the same. I assume that it is running fine otherwise. If not start thinking about a tune up.

4. john12121

john12121 New Member

As ssbrownsr said check your mileage over a period of time by making many tankfuls..After this if you really think you are getting low mileage figures try out following..Try out for Marvel Mystery Oil that lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors..Clean MAF it is easy and quick..Tires can also the main reason low mileage....Check out the tire pressure and tire brand..

5. EricFi1

EricFi1 New Member

tire pressure and brand would contribute to less than 3% in mileage loss.

is the tire SIZE the same as stock? Anything beyond the stock tire size will not only throw off your speedo, it'l decrease mileage significantly.
    You would have to have the speedo recalibrated for the larger tire and you might get some mileage back, but not all of it.

also need to check to see if there's any trouble codes.
    And.. when was the last tune up done?

6. greywarden

greywarden New Member

nice thread revival. there are lots of factors that could affect fuel consumption like the way you drive, tire pressure just like what the other member said, air filter, using the correct oil for your truck, changing oil filters, also check your ford fuel tanks because it might have some leaks with is a pain in the arse for your wallet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  7. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

lol 2 yrs late perhaps ;)

8. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

hahaha