Help w/ spindle knuckle please!

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by JSDC, May 10, 2012.

1. JSDC

JSDC New Member

I burnt out my driver front wheel bearing so bad part of the old bearing essentially is welded to the spindle. So I need a new knuckle. But I have given two different salvage yards all the info for my truck and both times they each gave me the wrong spindle. The spindles they gave me aren't big enough to receive the stud on the upper ball joint and the hole for the upper ball joint pinch bolt is on the outside of the knuckle (my old one is on the inside) I have a 99' B3000 2wd torsion bar supsension Troy Lee package. The dealerships want anywhere from $250-350 (if they'll even get me the right part). Any advice???
    [​IMG]

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

cut the bearing off. You shouldnt need new anything.

4. OP
    JSDC

JSDC New Member

Unfortunately the retaining nut was also affected when the hub overheated and I had to use a pipe wrench to get it off. In the process the threads on the spindle were wrecked. So I can't cut off the old bearing and re-use the spindle knuckle.

5. Brinker88

Ah. Yea just grab a new knuckle/spindle assy out of a JY. They're fairly cheap and easy to take off.

6. OP
    JSDC

JSDC New Member

Brinker - I have tried two different junk yards and both times they gave me told me the part was the same for a Ford Ranger and a Mazda B300, but the spindle's were too small. So I have no idea what to do now.

7. Brinker88

You might have to switch rotors.

8. OP
    JSDC

JSDC New Member

Its not the rotors that I am having problems with. For some reason on the two knuckles that the salvage yards gave me, the hole on the top of the knuckle isn't big enough to receive the stud for the upper ball joint. I measured the holes yesterday and the knuckle that came off my truck has a hole for the upper ball joint stud that is about 55 thousandths bigger than the two spindles the salvage yards have given me.

9. Brinker88

Hmmm...You might HAVE to go to the Stealership for that part. There arent many IFS torsion bar 2wd rangers out there.

I just checked on RockAuto, and they dont even have anything available.

Talk to member BlackMamba, he just bought one with the same suspension you have. He might be able to help you out.

10. OP
    JSDC

JSDC New Member

Thanks for the info Brinker. I am hoping I don't have to go to the stealership. When I called them yesterday just to get the part number, the said anywhere from $250-$350 depending on which dealership I was talking to.