hella 500 or 500ff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by finn611, Mar 29, 2012.

1. finn611

finn611 happiness is a warm gun

i am going to order a set of hellas and convert them to hid's, i already have an extra 35w h3 hid kit. Now i know there is a difference in the shape of the reflector, just wondering if one works better than the other when running HID's?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

500ff are what you want they are clear lens

4. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

5. ob269

ob269 New Member

My regular 500s (two sets) are clear lens. The difference (I believe) is the ffs are a fog light and the regulars are a driving light(light shoots further ahead in a concentrated beam)
    That is what I was told before..

6. OP
    finn611

you can get 500's and the 500ff's in both driving and fog, the difference between them is the 500's have fluted lenses and the 500ff's have fluted reflectors. in other words the 500's use the lens to aim the light beam, and the 500ff's use the reflector.

i have been reading that the 500's cast the light farther out and less to the sides, and the 500ff's have a littless distance and more light out to the sides.

7. Get the ffs

8. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

500FF's:
    Clear flat lenses
    [​IMG]

500's:
    Fluted lenses
    [​IMG]

I love my 500FF's.
    The only issue you may have is the FF's are totally clear with no frosting or fluting to hide any imperfections where the HID assembly comes through the back into the reflector area.

9. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

I love my ffs

10. dixie_boysles

dixie_boysles New Member

I have the FFs since thay are more of a fog light, i mostly got mine for looks though

11. OP
    finn611

Im just looking for something that will shine far and straight

12. ob269

ob269 New Member

Far and straight would be the regular 500s then.. that's how its described up a few posts..

13. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

If you want far and straight then go with the 500's

14. OP
    finn611

Okay picked them up today, now my question is in the wireing diagram it shows the wire taping into the high beams for the driving lights, and the low beam for fog lights. But i am running single beam HID's so i only have a low beam. Now im thinking, could i possibly tap it into the 12v+ on the turn signal/running lights? Or should i just tap into the low beam on the headlights?

15. buggman

If you just want the hids to come on with the low beams you can tap into the low beam wire to trigger the relay.

If you have them triggered by the parking lights, they'll come on whenever the parking lights come on, not sure I'd like that, but whatever floats your boat :D

I'd prefer to have them on their own switch in the cab (that triggers a relay) so I could turn them on whenever I wanted, regardless of the high/low beams.... but I like that kind of control... some people just want to hit one switch or button for everything to come on :)

16. OP
    finn611

Yeah im wiring them to the toggle they came with, but it still needs a signal for the relaydownloaded wired tp the headlight. ( at least thats what it shows on the diagram they came with) So i was thinking of wiring it to the parking lights so i can turn them on and off without having the headlights on if i wanted to. I want options, i dont want to have to have my headlights on in order to flip the switch and have my hellas turn on. If that makes sense

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  17. If that's what you want, you're better off running an auxiliary switch to them. This way you can turn them on whenever you want and not have to worry about having anything else on.

18. buggman

They shouldn't need any connection to the headlights, unless you want the headlights to trigger them.

Here's a basic relay diagram that should do just fine:
    [​IMG]

Disregard the wire colors mentioned, they're irrelevant.

The "supply" wire to the switch should be a 12v key switched source in the cab such as the radio's switched power wire or anything that ONLY gets 12v when the truck is running... this prevents the lights from coming on unless the truck is running.... and running your battery down.

Using a setup like this will allow you to run your lights whenever the truck is running or when the key is ON or in ACC'Y position.

19. OP
    finn611

Thats what im lookin for, thanks everyone. Will post up some pics when im done

20. OP
    finn611

Got them on and all wired up! Leavin them stock for now, but im sure i will swap hid's into them in the near future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will get some might shots when it gets dark.