headache rack compatibility

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by mcdonald58, Jun 17, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im thinking of getting a headache rack for loading my kayaks. multiple times ive tapped the window and dont want to shatter it one of these times. while looking on the sites i saw things like 2000 ranger headache rack. but didnt the beds not change from 93? so my question is does it matter what the site says? can i just use any ranger headache rack? thanks guys.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I believe the bed widths are the same on standard beds from 93 til present for the headache racks. Just in case, measure the distance from one inside rail to the other.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright ill do that thanks. where did you get yours? i like the style and protection a lot.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I got it from a member on the forums. Its a Pro-tech headache rack so check them out

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright will do. does your rack go above your roof. because with my canoe i dont think i can just tie down in the bed it might be to long. and since i dont have a hitch i cant get a x-tend a bed.

7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yeah it will keep your stuff off the roof for sure man

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright awesome my favorite is the back rack so far. i like how you can add lights and the tool box mount. i also like how it dosent cover the whole window so i still get good air flow and wont have annoying whistling with my window open.

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hey, how did this go ?
    Did you get it done ?
    What did you end up with ?

I took the std bed Back Rack and cut it down to fit the steppie bed.

10. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

why not just lawn chair cushons against the window and a blanket on the roof for the canoe thats what we do and not a scratch or movement happens with it like this

11. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Noticed the mentioning of a Pro-Tech Rack.
    MacDonald, do you have a stepside or Styleside ?
    IMHO... Unless there was a style change at ProTech, the Steppie Rack come up from the bed a little funny, it should be wider.
    Again, it is me but I had one and did not like the look, I went to the BackRack.

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i have a syleside. ill probably only get one these if i get another ranger.

13. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

okay i just bought one for craigslist, it was made for an 05 ranger but well it still fits perfectly and was very simple to put on, and they come with different mounting holes for different bed sizes

14. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hazard... What brand did you buy ?

The ProTech Racks are nice and the Styleside ones look great.
    Also, they are expensive.