Fuel pump reconnect issues

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by ranger down, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ranger down

ranger down New Member

Greetings! I recently had to change my fuel pump and couldn't take off the bed so it was a real sob. Just horrible. Anyway I finally got Humpty Dumpty put back together again and I am 1 single solitary step away from this nightmare being over, and now one of the 2 fuel lines that plug into the pump absolutely refuses to go in. The other one gave me trouble but finally gave in. And now I am giving up for the day BC I've been working on this ibe issue for 3 hours. So what do I do? How do I get this hose to plug into the pump? I can't get it over the fricken lip!

My cousin who is a mechanics suggested that I take a razor and slowly bevvle away at the inside of the hose until I've taken enough plastic off that it simply has no choice but to slide over the lip. I did this for about an hour. Little by little, but still all of the strength is not getting that hose on.

Are there any of suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. cvar

cvar New Member

I would NOT recommend chewing away your fuel lines. That's a bad idea. The rubber O-rings inside the hose ends need to seal properly. Fuel leak is bad. Very. Bad.

Did you take OFF the plastic C-clip, then install it last? I'll bet the plastic C-clip that holds the hose into place has dislodged or broken off, and perhaps that (or other dirt) is preventing the metal tube from fully seating. Do you have calipers to measure the diameter of your hose compared to your pump's metal tube?

Let's assume you bought the correct part. Otherwise, return it.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/images/FordEFIFuelLineConnectors04.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GR06Vw8h.jpg

I'd strongly suggest removing the bed. It's held by just six Torx (size T-55) bolts, and 1 wire to unplug. A 3' section of iron pipe (cheater bar) over your ratchet handle would help apply leverage. That's AFTER you spray PB-Blaster on the threads for a day or so.

4. OP
    ranger down

ranger down New Member

Unfortunately I am in no position to take the bed off. It broke down in a place, though that I can leave it and just fix it day to day. So those clips are supposed to be on before I put the plug in? I thought they were meant to go on after I get the hose over the metal lip? This is my first time. :)

5. OP
    ranger down

ranger down New Member

Let me put this another way... is the C clip supposed to be on the house before insert it into the fuel pump AND is the C clip the ONLY thing that prevents the hose from coming loose?

6. cvar

cvar New Member

Um, you can slide your bed backwards, out of your way, without lifting it completely off the truck. Look here for the idea: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363210

Hmm. Are your hoses just backwards?
    Yes, only the clip holds it in place, over the metal tube's raised ring. The fuel hoses should slip on without ANY effort at all. If there's a connection blockage, you need to get a proper look at it. Don't chip away. The hose should slip on with the clip already installed on it. The clip has a beveled side (like a ramp) to allow that. See that earlier closeup photo.

Btw, you'd need a special Ford fuel line disconnect tool ($3) to release the spring clips when removing Ford fuel hoses from tank or from fuel filter.
    www.google.com/imghp?q=ford+fuel+line+disconnect+tool

7. cvar

cvar New Member

I was reading my Haynes manual this weekend, and in the fuel lines section, it says that all 3 fuel lines (supply, return, vent) are all different sizes. So I'll bet your supply & return were hooked up backwards. Swap 'em back around.