Fuel line repair for a '97 with 3.0 - HELP!

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by RangerAunt, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RangerAunt

RangerAunt New Member

First off, I am a newbie here. My 17 year old niece had to have a Ranger, so her dad bought her this 1997 XLT with a 3.0. It needs a lot of work. She is taking an auto tech class in her senior year and has been coming by my house to work on her truck.

I got the fuel line disconnect tool for her, but that connector was simply frozen on there. We had 5 different people try to get it off before she cut the line to remove it. Well, now the problem is repairing the line! I got a replacement quick release connector (5/16") from NAPA, but the nipple on the connector is way too big to go on the little high pressure fuel line. It is not that much line, right on the engine side of the fuel filter, before it turns into a steel line. I am thinking of getting a ribbed adapter to tie into the existing high pressure line and just connect the quick release connector to a piece of hose.:rolleyes:

It has been a long time since I worked on my own vehicle. I'm having fun helping the kid, but this one has me stumped! Am I missing something here? Any input is welcomed. :nuke::scooter:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

you could always pull the whole piece of line out of the truck and take it to a hydraulic shop. most should be able to make you fuel safe hoses in any size or shape to fix the problem. i had a similar issue, i took my line to a company named hoseman and they fixed me up right.

4. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

^ what he said is probably your best best...those connectors have to be pressed into the line and can only really be done with a special tool that most garages Don't have.

5. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

you can push the fitting into the line, its not easy and takes forever. iv done it, actually did it last weekend when i broke the lines off my sending unit.

they fit like that so its a tight fit. and fuel wont spray out.

6. OP
    RangerAunt

RangerAunt New Member

Thanks for the input. That's about what I figured. So, coming from the fuel filter to the engine, how long is that line? Does it go all of the way up to fuel injection? If it does, it will be a pain to get off.

7. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

if its anything like my 94, then yes it will go from there to a fuel regulator on the fuel rail. now my fuel lines just unbolt from the regulator and rail. then just fish them out