FS: Lord Of The LED Oval Rings buggman special mod (ky)

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by buggman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I didn't realize it's been forever since I posted here.... don't want you guys to think I've forgotten about the site, just been busy with modding & other stuff.

So...... I thought I'd introduce my newest creation here FIRST.

I'm still in prototype stages now, but I have several templates made already.

Pricing to be determined as well.

What is this mod that involves Led's & Ovals you ask?

Well, I've seen a bunch of people on the Ranger sites wanting the FORD script in their Ford ovals to light up... still working on that particular mod, but it got me thinking.... What could I do that would be even cooler than lighting up the Ford script inside the ovals?

I've designed a "ring" that will attach between your 4 1/2" to 7" (still need a couple 9” ovals to work on) wide Ford oval that will light up and make your oval appear to "float" in a ring of color.
    Each ring is made so that it matches the size & shape of your oval so that it doesn’t show behind the oval.

A minimal amount of wiring is required... 2 wires actually.

Slight modification to your grille/tailgate and ovals are required as well:
    1. The center alignment pins on your ovals may need to be cut off. They serve no real purpose anyhow, so who needs them?

2. The hole in the grille/tailgate where the center alignment pin needs to be enlarged for the wiring connector of the ring to pass through. About a 1/4" hole should be good. The tailgate hole will need a grommet installed to ensure the wires don't get damaged. I'll try to include a grommet with each ring.

3. Wiring consists of a ground wire & a power wire.
    The ground can attach to any bolt or screw that contacts the body or frame.
    The power can attach to your parking/running lights, headlights, brake lights, reverse lights or even to a simple on/off switch inside the cab.

Installing these rings are pretty simple as well.
    Each ring will come with double sided foam tape on both sides, one side labeled TRUCK one side labeled OVAL, peel off the oval side & you guessed it, stick it to your oval. Make sure to align the ring perfectly with your oval as there is very little room for mistakes here. You can also snip off your oval's middle alignment pin now.

When you have your grille's center alignment hole drilled out, slide the wire connector through the hole & peel off the truck side of the foam tape & carefully press the oval & ring onto your grille.
    Ta-Da, install is done.... except for the wiring.

The led oval rings only make your oval stick out about 1/4" farther than normal, so it's hardly noticeable.

I will be able to make these in several sizes: 4 1/2”, 4 3/4", 5 3/4", 7” and soon 9” wide & in several colors: Red, White, Blue, Green & Yellow/Amber. And if there's enough interest... I'll even buy a bunch of PINK led's!

Each one will be a custom order due to the various sizes & colors involved.

Hooligan is being my guinea pig once again as he will be testing my initial prototype for me.

Please check your local laws regarding colored lights on your grille/tailgate! I don’t want anyone getting into trouble for having Red lights on their grille if they’re not supposed to.

Now, on to some pics!
    Here's my #2 prototype, 4 3/4" wide in white:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know, crappy night time pics, but you get the general idea.

Here's a couple pics of Hooligan's prototype #1 5 3/4" in red:
    (pics borrowed from Hooligan's photobucket)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are still prototypes & I'm testing & seeing how to improve them as I go.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. cool idea Terry, oh and glad to see you did not forget about this site!!

4. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

That's so cool. Too bad I'm poor.

5. OP
    buggman

UPDATE:

New, daytime pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

I'll test a blue prototype for ya. Lol. But when u figure out the price give me a shout.

7. I'll be your guinea pig for a yellow one :)
    what kinda price are you asking?

8. OP
    buggman

UPDATE:

PRICING (as of now)

4 1/2" & 4 3/4" led oval rings: $25.00 + shipping/insurance

5 3/4" & 7" led oval rings: $30.00 + shipping/insurance

9" led oval rings: TBD

These prices are for the basic, single circuit, single color versions in your choice of colors: Red, White, Blue, Green or Yellow/Amber.

I'm looking into designing a 2 circuit version for the 7" & 9" ovals for you guys with the HUGE ovals in the center of your tailgates where the left half connects to your left turn signals & the right half connects to your right turn signals so the oval acts as an additional turn signal indicator. No pricing or time frame on this one just yet... I gotta get some of the original version completed & sold first :rolleyes:

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Do you have any blue ones done? The reason I ask I'm gonna be down to Lexington next weekend and if your willing pay u gas + price for a set to bring them there.

10. OP
    buggman

None made up yet, at least not completed... I've got a few of each size up to 7" shaped, but I still need to drill all the holes for the led's & figure out how many led's I can squeeze in each one.

I think I remember your truck has a 4 1/2" tailgate & 4 3/4" grille oval... were you looking for both or just the grille?

Wish I could meet up, but I've got Dr. appointments next week :thumbdown:

I'm just starting to work on a 5 3/4" yellow/amber one with 2 circuits so each side can be connected to the turn signals. Looks like that one is gonna have 20 led's.

11. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

yeah 4 3/4 and 4 1/2.... i was just wanting the grille one.... well we may still be able to meet up im not gonna be going thru lex until friday and then coming back thru on sunday hopefully..... making a stop in nicholasville and then hopefully on our way back home..... may end up taking a detour to head towards harrodsburg...... if i do i'll let you know...

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Free bump

13. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

buy these people they look bad@$$ can't wait til i get mine in....

14. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

still want one lol

15. OP
    buggman

Bump w/ price guide

4 1/2" & 4 3/4" led oval rings: $25.00 + shipping/insurance

5 3/4" & 7" led oval rings: $30.00 + shipping/insurance

9" led oval rings: FINALLY $35.00 + sh/ins

I can now do these with the same dual brightness mod as my 06 fender badge led plates :thumbup:

16. OP
    buggman

Bump for warmer weather.

It's finally started to warm up enough where I can do some painting now.

17. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Is the price for a single oval? Or front and rear?

18. OP
    buggman

They're priced individually by size. Since there are so many different size & color combinations, it's easier to do them that way :)

19. OP
    buggman

4th of July bump

20. OP
    buggman

Here's a few new ones I've been working on lately...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 04rgr

04rgr New Member

I'll take a red front one for an 04 edge.