Front Drive Shaft & MPGs

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by El Camino Man, May 28, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Couldnt think of a good name for this thread so itll do lol.

Anyways, Iv heard of people removing their front driveshaft to help with mpgs? This seems logical since our older Rangers dont have lock-out hubs and all the 4WD parts spin no matter what.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I've heard it, but I don't think it really works... I tried it and it stayed the same.

4. Muscleford

Muscleford Drives "the Fridge"

Even with the drive shaft removed you are still spinning the diff so most of the load is still there. I doubt removing the front ds will make a difference.

5. OP
    El Camino Man

You make a good point. All the front end will still be spinning since its essentially locked in all the time... The only thing I will remove from spinning would be the DS itself lol. Does that mean if I keep it locked in 4x4 HI all the time, my mpg wont go down?

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

The difference, if any, would be not noticeable. Live axle hubs means locked 100% of the time. When your wheel is turning, so is your axle. The reason there would be little to no difference is because on the Tcase side, she's free spinning. Like she's in neutral.

You WILL notice a mpg change from running in 4hi all the time. lol. Because your Tcase is engaged, sending power to the front axle.....NOT free spinning.

This is the case for 00+ Ranger/B-series which have live axles. You could gain very little, barely noticeable if any mpg by swapping on 98-99 hub/bearings, 98-99 CV's, and Rugged Ridge manual lockout hubs. But the $500 it'll take to do the swap makes the mod pointless......and weaker than your existing setup. Right now your weak link is the CV itself. You break that, you're a badass! Doing that swap, the weak link is the hub.

7. OP
    El Camino Man

I actually laughed on that one lol.

Iv debated doin a lock-out swap on mine but decided it wouldnt be worth the time or money long ago. This is my DD, not a rock crawlin mud slinger so Ill stick with stock lol.

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

You should do the swap. So I can buy your brand new truck's brand new CV's! lol.

9. OP
    El Camino Man

Are you a big enough badass to break yours? LOL!