Front Diff ’03 EDGE

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Scrambler82, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I decided I really needed to get the 4.56s in and started getting info together for the job.

Crawled under the truck and the tag on the front diff has D 27 A stamped on it.

Does this mean I have a D27, if so is there any way to convert to a D35 and from what vehicles ?

The rear is OK V313L, 31 spline, out of an FX4.

Funny what we find when we check things out.

Please comment !

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. camodown

camodown Member

I wouldnt think so, but I'm not sure

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

All 98+ Rangers have a D35 front axle and accepts D35 standard cut ring & pinion. All 8.8's accept 8.8 r&p....no special r&p for 28spline vs 31spline.

Dana 27 was a precursor to the Dana 30 solid front axle. Found in CJ5's, Scout 80's. Rear as well in those.

I don't recall ever seeing any markings on my front axles other than production stampings on the diff cover and possibly a sticker wrapped around the long side tube. The D27 and the other rear axle gibberish could possibly be just production stampings. It could be possible Dana used that designation to separate it from the rear D35 and eliminate any confusion on the production line. Just a theory as I really haven't the foggiest idea.

5. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

The rear I knew, the front is the question.
    I thought I had read on the Ranger Sites of the World that all 98+ Ranger had the D35 but what do you make of the tag ?

D27A sounds like it is a Dana 27, I'm confused !?!

How do I find out what I have ?

6. rwenzing

rwenzing Bob

You are correct. 98+ 4x4 Rangers have a special version of the D35 up front.

The outputs to the halfshafts are 27 spline. Maybe that's the reason for the "27" designation on your tag?

7. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hey Bob,
    Please help me out here !
    How do I tell foro sure which I have ?
    Is there a code some where on the housing ?
    Is there a code in the ID Tag on the door ?

This should be easier !

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

You have a D35 that accepts D35 standard cut ring and pinion. Echo much?

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Produ...M35-456&Brand=Yukon_Gear_Ring_and_Pinion_Sets

http://completeoffroad.com/i-138595...on-gear-set-for-model-35-in-a-4-56-ratio.html

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122912...on-gear-set-for-model-35-in-a-4-56-ratio.html

Unless it's been swapped out earlier in the truck's life (very highly unlikely), that is the axle you have and the gears it takes. Nothing else will fit the truck other than a 95-01/05 Explorer/Sport/Sport Trac or 98+ Ranger/B-series M35/D35 IFS axle.

Something I forgot earlier, Yukon Gear calls it "M35".....AMC model 35. Dana bought the AMC axle manufacturing side way back in the day.

9. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Thanks again it is just after working quality for so long I wanted to see something in my face, something that said yes you have a D35, maybe even a cast in number like the D44 has.
    I will order up those gears and get started.

Thanks / ltr

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Parts are ordered, along with an OX Locker for the rear.

Only thing left is the length of the Shift Cable.

11. OP
    Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Gears are in, Cable is in (100”) waiting for the finishing touches and I am driving the thing again !