Front Brake Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hurley, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

So I was planning on doing a disc swap on my rear axle (7.5). I began to gather parts, but then I decided not to do the swap. My question is, am I able to use the rotors I bought for the swap to replace my front rotors? I know the ones I bought for the swap are 10.5 inch rotors. Anyone got a rotors laying around that they can take a pic of and measure for me?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Get on rockauto or advance auto's website and look at the part numbers. That will tell you if they're interchangable or not. As far as getting better brakes you can always slap the ford 8.8 backing plates on a 7.5 axle. They bolt right on

4. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

5. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

im going to have my entire 10" break set up for sale in a few days, if you want better brakes for the rear,

as for your rotor question, make sure you measure the depth that the rotor sinks in where it sits on the axle, also if the front hub is bigger than the rotor inside also

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

No.

And why would you NOT want discs in the back??? Stang brakes I assume? If so, GOOD choice.

7. OP
    Hurley

I never got around to getting the rest of the parts and I figure it would cost about as much as an 8.8 swap so why keep my stock axle and spend money on brakes when I can do an axle swap and have discs

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I know nothing of your truck's build or it's use, but a 7.5 is just fine for a DD and if you want discs, swapping an explorer axle in is a gross excessive if all you're wanting is discs. Work involved outweighs advantages. Especially for easibility of maintenance of expos. IE: Expo brakes are a WHORE. lol.

If I could go back, I'd design caliper brackets for 'stang Cobra rotors and calipers for my 31sp Ranger axle. Instead I cheaped out for the pain in the neck Expo setup. I still don't have an p-brake.

9. OP
    Hurley

Well I would also like to re gear to 4:10s as well so if I found one with 4:10s then I would only need to re gear the front, saving me some cash. And I would also like to find one with l/s then I think it would be worth it.

10. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I found an axle here in PA with discs and 4.10s for $250.