Found a Waggy 44 here for sale in PA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brinker88, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Well since theres no Drivetrain/axle subforum here, I thought I'd post this here:

Got a guys number for a waggy 44 complete hub to hub for $125. PM me for the guys number if you're interested. He's located in Benton PA and has a bunch of jeep axles, Dana 80s etc. for dirt cheap. He also has a brand new set of 4.10s to go with the jeep for another $125. Thought this would be a good place to put this for anyone looking for one of these. Axle is already pulled and ready to go.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Are they good enough for an SAS?

4. OP
    Brinker88

They're the best one for it w/out going full width

5. Taylor

Taylor Roman 1:16

Please tell me what full width means. lol. Ive never known what that means.

6. OP
    Brinker88

Full width axles are under Full size trucks (F150,250,350 etc) And are longer than ranger axles.

7. Taylor

So what axle under another vehicle than a ranger would be considered a non-full width?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going full-width? You said that the waggy d44 is the best without going full width.

8. OP
    Brinker88

Other option is a Dana 30 from a jeep (only if you're running 32's or smaller) Its considered a very weak axle, but I've seen some of them run 35s with no problem if they're built right. Other option is a toyota front axle. This is not a very common swap, but it's available. Lots of mods needed to run this axle which is actually weaker than the dana 35. Disadvantages of Full width is your tires will be completely outside the fenders and usually cannot be legal in most states. Advantage is that you will have a better center of gravity due to the wider stance. This lowers rollovers to almost zilch (none). Waggy Dana 44s arent as strong as a Full Width dana 44 with thinner axle tubes and smaller knuckles/brakes but still a major upgrade from the Dana 35. One thing you want to look for in the waggy 44s is the Vacuum disconnect they had in the "newer" ones (80's-90s) You do not want this and cannot run this axle.

9. Taylor

So get a d44 from a late 70s Waggy?

10. OP
    Brinker88

Yes, and make sure there is NO vacuum disconnect (Im not sure of the years, but I can find out)

These are leaf spring front axles of course so if you want coils, you'll have to do some fabbing (grab some radius arms from a 78/79 F150 and some Axle wedges from broncograveyard.com and weld them on.