Finally got some work done on the truck

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by buggman, Apr 4, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

It's been a long time coming, but I finally broke down & got some stuff worked on today.
    Wheel bearings have been needing to be repacked for a couple years, got that done but they found the upper & lower ball joints on the driver side had too much play in them & they had to be replaced along with an alignment :thumbdown:

Good thing is that I have a little smoother ride, bad thing is I'm out over $700 for everything I had done.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

wheel bearings needed packing for a couple years? did you mistype? shoot, if mine need grease, they'll go from fine to perfectly destroyed in a day.

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Good luck with the balljoints, they're fairly easy on the TTBs...You dont need an alignment if it's not off and you dont touch the camber bushing while installing the balljoints btw...Too bad you werent closer, I need something to do on Saturday

And Doyouquaxu, how you packing sealed hub assemblies?

5. pooleo

pooleo New Member

^^^meh, after having done TTB ball joints....lets see.....5 times :eek: and doing ball joints 3 times on the IFS, Id take the IFS all day long! lol

6. Brinker88

Lol I love me some TTB tho :D So much more strength and potential without having to extremely modify it.

7. pooleo

pooleo New Member

x2 on that!

8. doyouquaxu

i'm not certain when things switched to a sealed hub assembly, i thought all TTB had serviceable hubs.

9. Brinker88

:whistling: Dumbass me thinking you had a 4x4...:w00t:

10. doyouquaxu

yeah i don't have that 4wd contraption on my truck. i just pull d35 ttb hubs off the trucks at the junk yard lol

11. OP
    buggman

Yea, a couple years. Seeing as how I don't drive more than 1000 miles a year on a heavy traffic year, I haven't been that worried about it. The only off road activity the truck sees is when I have to drive through the grass.

There was no way I could tackle that kind of stuff, even if my little impact wrench would spin the bolts, I don't have a jack that will raise the tires off the ground :thumbdown:
    I'm wanting to de-rust the brake drums & paint them along with the calipers, but I've got to figure out some way to get the tires off the ground just enough to get the wheels off. Maybe I could put one jack on another jack then I'd be double jacked... until something moved & came crashing down. :furious:

12. Brinker88

I dont use an impact on anything when I do balljoints, except the tire. And with the balljoints, I just use a large socket and a BFH to pound them in lol.

13. ZWilson07

ZWilson07 New Member

Buggman as much modding and building things as you do for people, I cant believe you dont have a bunch of tools, and doing alot of mechanical work yourself.

I guess your only into the electrical side of it ya nerd :thumbup:

14. OP
    buggman

Yea, I've got a pretty well stocked shop, but I'm not that into big mechanical stuff... plus I just don't have the energy to do much of anything now.

At least with my led stuff I get to set down most of the time & there's no heavy lifting. :)

15. ZWilson07

ZWilson07 New Member

any particular reason why you dont have the energy? Not trying to have that sound bad, just the way you said it was like you have been injured or something.

Idk how old you are or anything like that so I was just curious. Just figured when you have a garage and tools why you'd drop 700 big ones for something you could do lol.