explorer seats

Discussion in 'Interior' started by 06FordFX4, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

I need to upgrade my seats, as i get far to uncomfortable in the 06 ranger seats. way to hard. My options I guess are the following

cut open current seats, and re structure with plushier foam

swap in explorer seats and recover with black material to keep look consistent

any other ideas??

found a 2000 explorer for parts, has both seats still, but they are the cloth seats. Has anyone sat in both these vehicles? 06+ ranger seats, and 2000 era explorer cloth seats?

are the explorer more comfortable? my commute is long, and i like softer seats. but not to soft.

just looking for ideas dont have gobs of money to spend however.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. adsm08

adsm08 New Member

Try to find something with adjustable lumbar support.

That is what you really want for long drives.

4. OP
    06FordFX4

mine have adjustable lumbar.

its more more the ass section of the seat that bothers me on long drives. maybe if i just get them stuffed with softer foam? I know a guy who makes mattresses, so maybe i'll check with him. but if the explorer seats are more comfy overall, ill just swap them in.

just never been able to sit in an expo, and compare them with my 06's seats. just looking for insight from someone that has sat in both

5. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

My seats came out of a GMC party bus and they're really comfortable. Lots of "butt foam" lol. Only disadvantage is the addition of more padding makes me sit up about an inch higher in the cab. Thats not bad cause i'm only 5'7, but if you are excessively tall I would imagine that you would have problems in a regular cab. I've driven multiple times from Ohio to Washington DC, and Ohio to Alabama, and back and never had a problem with them.

Was kinda a pain swapping the tracks onto them, simply because the factory ranger seats for my year ranger are bolted and riveted to the seat bucket. (can provide pics if desired lol) But I'd never consider going back

6. OP
    06FordFX4

Yes definitely want pics!!

My brothers Chevy 1500 is so damn comfy.

7. OP
    06FordFX4

8. rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

if yours arent really beat up and are the 60/40 setup with a good center console id take em off your hands :p

9. OP
    06FordFX4

not 60/40 lol

FX4 buckets with red center section.

10. rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

hmmm, i still may be interested

11. OP
    06FordFX4

you're in south jersey, im in canada haha. so, yeah, no. sorry man :p

12. rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

Whaaaaat yea nevermind haha

13. OP
    06FordFX4

haha yea, shipping would be insaneeeee

14. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

the problem with an 06 and swapping seats is you are going to lose the air bag system. the weight sensor in the passenger seat is going to trip a code. if the light is on, the system is disabled. makes it really hard to do a seat swap and keep the airbags working.

as far as the merkur seats. you will need to find a set of 95-01 explorer or 93-7 ext cab ranger tracks to even start making them fit. i'm sure there will be some other work involved.

15. OP
    06FordFX4

Of course there will be work involved lol.

As far as the sir bag issue, that would only affect the passenger side, would it not? And should be easy enough to bypass with some wiring.

16. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

afaik, if the light comes on, the entire system is disabled.

17. OP
    06FordFX4

Ok, found a set of Explorer seats. $60 for the pair. stupid good price. They are the power seats. power lumbar, etc.
    THey look to be in really good shape. no tears etc.
    Id recover them with a black material to match my interior. leather, pleather, or vunyl for easy cleaning.

anyways, on to my question.
    Will these 96 explorer seats work in my 06 ranger, with all power features being able to work as well?

yes, i'll do wiring, more concerned about if i lose the power features by using the Ranger seat tracks, which I gather i have to swap onto the explorer seats.

Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

You should be good, aside from possibly swapping some of the track parts.

Those look a lot like the 98 expo seats I have.

19. OP
    06FordFX4

probably the same seats.

are they comfy?

And I thought I read somewhere that the newer rangers seat tracks were not detachable?

20. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

if you have an ext cab, they will work with the power tracks. however, you will need to reuse your original seat belt and bolt it to the seats. you will also have an issue with the passenger side weight sensor causing an air bag code.