Engine Ticking

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Scubasteve913, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Scubasteve913

Scubasteve913 scuba steve913

I hear a ticking in my engine at idle. its hard to tell exactly but it sounds like its coming from the top of the engine either around the alternator or the fuel injectors. Any ideas? may just have to take it to a shop and have them look at it. Thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

the ticking you are most likely hearing is the valves "clacking" this is normal. just about every engine does this at some point. and steppies are not challenged they are just miss understood.

4. OP
    Scubasteve913

HAHA! im a lefty and i guess lefty's are misunderstood to so it kinda makes sense that a lefty drives a steppy. Is there anyway to stop the noise? it seems to be gradually getting louder.

5. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Valves... Mine has been doing it since 100k now has 130k

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i dont think that there is. you might be able to take it to a shop and ask them they may know more about it than i do. although i have noticed that if it's about time for me to change my oil it will get louderthen when i change my oil it almost goes away.

7. OP
    Scubasteve913

i used ZMAX engine lube in my old car and it worked pretty good. Would that help?

8. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

it might

9. in my old jeep 235k miles I used MMO( Marvel Mystery Oil) in the crankcase to get rid of a tap tap tap noise after a about two oil changes the noise was gone.
    might want to look into that stuff

10. OP
    Scubasteve913

ill give it a shot. the check engine light came on a while ago and the codes were related to the fuel injectors. i had them clear the codes. Could that have anything to do with it? how do i know if the fuel injectors are bad?

11. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

That could be the ticking your hearing, if an injector is ticking you can usually use a stethoscope or in some cases just hold your ear up to the rail... Watch the fan though

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

^^ lol, yes definately watch the fan! Are you running a synthetic oil?

13. OP
    Scubasteve913

no i use regular 5W-30

14. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

I use sae 30 used to be known as hpo 3w from valvoline and I barely have any ticking until it's time to change the oil.