Electrical problem... I think

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Ezalycasaid, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ezalycasaid

Ezalycasaid DUN RUNNIN!

Ok this started happening to me last night. I was driving along on the highway and hit a weird bump. My truck made a noise and then when I came to a stop at the redlight my speedo gauge was jumping from 13mph to 20mph while the vehicle was sitting still. Then this morning I tried to start up the ranger and it was dead. I jumped it off and drove a while and now it wont start at all. Any ideas? my thought is the voltage regulator on the alternator is out. What do u guys think?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

If you speedo went crazy I'd say it has to do with the hookups to the battery

4. when I re-installed my ohc I smashed a wire and my speedo and lights acted up until it finally blew a fuse so might want to check around any wires if you recently did anything.

5. jhnzeigler

jhnzeigler New Member

I had a problem some what like this a while back too. I went to start the truck one morning after it had been driving fine and it was dead. Try resetting the inertia switch. It is on the passenger side firewall. It is a black body with a soft rubber red button...push the red button down till it clicks and then try starting the truck. Mine fired right up.
    Ziggy