Clutch pedal suddenly stuck in "up" position

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by waterfordjim, Apr 18, 2020.

1. waterfordjim

waterfordjim New Member

Hello Ranger forum. New member here. Joined to ask for help with this issue!

I was driving my 2002 Ranger 2.3 5MT and the clutch suddenly locked in up position. This truck has unknown mileage- it has an instrument cluster from a salvage yard. I will say that the pedal box is quite worn out and sloppy. The master cylinder is still attached to the clutch pedal but refuses to move. How can I verify what has failed here- is it the master or the slave? The truck had a new clutch when I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    waterfordjim

waterfordjim New Member

Oh, more info regarding my truck. Clutch master reservoir is almost full, and for the past 6 months, something down near the pedal assembly was making a clicking noise just after full engagement while letting it back out.

4. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Never heard of it locked up, but soft and mushy. There is a Neutral safety assembly may have block the push rod from pushing down on the master cylinder.

5. OP
    waterfordjim

waterfordjim New Member

I found the problem! The "quick disconnect" coupling that joins the master to the slave at the bell housing came UNDONE. So that explains why the pedal will not move. Awesome!!!! BTW, I am replacing the pedal box too. Just so y'all know, we can only remove the pedal assembly if you pull the brake master cylinder/vacuum booster as far away from firewall as you can- This way, the pedal bracket has the space to squeak by the brake master cylinder rod that connects to the brake lever. :-D

DeanMk likes this.