Checking Interest: New LED Mod Switchbacks

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by buggman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I've been testing a few ideas for some amber/yellow led switchbacks.

All of the true switchback led's that have white running lights that turn off when the turn signals blink have been in the $40 - $60 range per pair & I just don't see anyone spending that kind of money for a couple led's... so I've been looking at ways to make something similar of my own.

Right now, I've got one made up & I'll be testing it out on my truck sometime this week hopefully.

As of now, this mod will probably only work for the older trucks that have 3 wires coming from the front turn signals.

Like most of my mods, this will be fairly simple to install & I'll work up a detailed install manual to go along with it.
    There may be 2 or more versions of this mod, 1st will be a true plug-n-play version that has everything pre-made and connected, all you'll need to do is unplug your old bulb socket & plug the mod between. 2nd will be a quick connect version where you'll use scotchlok type connectors to tap into your existing wiring.

A pair of amber/yellow led's will be included in every version.

With the testing I've done in the shop with my 12v power supplies, it works great. The white led's come on with the parking lights (looks especially nice with clear style corners) and when the turn signals come on, the white led goes out and the amber led's come on, when the turn signals go off and so forth.
    When the parking lights are not on (daytime use) the white led's do not come on at all, but the amber led's work for turn signals/hazards.

These will be for a rather limited market for older trucks with clear style corners... not to mention that I'm searching for more OEM pigtails & bulb connectors. But I'm hoping to keep the pricing below that of the "name brand" switchback led's.

Just wanted to see if there's an interest in something like this, any ideas, comments, etc.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I might be. Post some pics when it's done

4. OP
    buggman

I did a quick test tonight in the truck & it works!

Now I've got to make another one for the other side & get some pics/vids.

5. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Pictures!!!!!!

6. OP
    buggman

lol, I know this thread is worthless without pix.

I have a couple of the mods done, but I only have one pair of switchback led's... waiting on more led's yet again.
    If I'm not too busy this weekend I hope to get mine installed & get some videos uploaded.

7. OP
    buggman

Quick video:

[​IMG]

The white comes on with the parking lights & goes off when the amber turn signals come on. :yes:

8. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i might have to get a pair of these once i get my black corners. any ideas on pricing?

9. OP
    buggman

Not sure yet, I only have one pair of the led's right now (for my truck) and I only have one extra set of bulb sockets/pigtails to make a 2nd pair of the adapter mod for now.
    As soon as my junk yard hunters round up a bunch more bulb sockets & pigtails I'll be putting a few of the kits together while I'm waiting on more switchback led's.

10. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i like it man looks sharp

11. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Im definitely game. That's basically an extra set of running lights that turn into turn signals! Badass dude.

12. OP
    buggman

Exactly what I was thinking... the white led's are quite a bit brighter than the yellow too.

13. OP
    buggman

Finally have one pair of switchback led's & one pair of the adapters modded, ready to go.

The first set will be my special "guinea pig" pricing of $30 a pair shipped, includes a pair of yellow/white switchback led's & a pair of the adapters.

They should work with any truck that uses 3157 turn signal bulbs, but I've only tested them with my 96's turn signals so I'm not 100% sure on how well they'll work on newer trucks yet.

14. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

$30 a pair?! Thats cheap! Bump for an awesome deal!

15. OP
    buggman

Thought I'd add a little teaser+update...
    Been out in the shop working on some new ideas with some new parts for the switchbacks & I may have some switchbacks that are self contained. It's not going to be easy to fit in all the components inside the bulb bases, but with a bit of modding it might just work!
    They should work exactly as my original design using the bulb sockets & relay method.
    No pics TEASER!

16. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

if you have a set ready to go ill grab em off yah

17. OP
    buggman

I have one set of my initial design finished.
    As soon as I get more bulb sockets & pigtails I'm going to make a few more of that style because it works really well & it's still plug-n-play... just a few more parts.

I've been testing the new "self contained" mod today & everything works except for the hazard lights :thumbdown:
    Not sure exactly what's going on with them or if it's just my truck & all the led gizmos I have connected... it does some wacky things sometimes.

18. hazard-maine

ill be a test subject for you if you want to help

19. OP
    buggman

Finally got a quick pic of the original version:

[​IMG]

Very simple mod to do.
    Twist the old bulb socket from the housing, remove the old bulb.
    Twist the new led bulb socket into the housing, plug the bulb base adapter into the old bulb socket. Make sure the polarity is correct +/-.
    BAM! You're done.

20. hazard-maine

looks nice and clean