Burning Smell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sadie Robinson, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Sadie Robinson

Sadie Robinson New Member

Hi! I drive a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT and I brought it with me to college, well I went home for about a month and when I drove my ranger for the first time since being back at college I noticed a burning smell. I checked under the hood and didn't see anything, but when I went back out for a 2 minute drive I smelt the burning again. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side, and I did notice some coolant leaking from one of the hoses that connect to the motor. Is this what I could be smelling? Where should I look, what should I be looking for?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Coolant can have a distinct "burning" odor if dopped on something hot, but there'll be a "sweetness" to it, too.
    If the coolant is leaking on something like the exhaust manifold, that could be it.
    If it smells like plastic melting, it could be a wiring issue.

4. OP
    Sadie Robinson

I don't notice a sweet smell to it, but it doesn't seem to smell like plastic either. I only noticed the smell after my pickup sat for about a month without being driven since I went back home.

5. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Sometimes cats will put out a burning smell too, if a car hasn't been driven in a while....keep an eye on that coolant level, too.

6. OP
    Sadie Robinson

Thank you!