brakes

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by mcdonald58, Oct 30, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

what kind of brake pads and shoes should i put on my truck? my front brakes are starting to squeak bad and sound like they need to be replaced. but i only want to do my front ones since my drums are more complicated. i want metallic pads since ill be getting rid of my truck soon.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

How long have the Pads lasted that you now have?
    Stick to a name brand not Discount Auto Parts.
    There are some that wear less but they require more pressure to stop.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i dont know how long ive had them on i havent replaced them before. but they are squeaking bad. i think ill go with metallic pads instead of ceramic.

5. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i always go OEM with brake stuff

6. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Duralast rotors love to warp. The duralast gold semi-metallic pads were great to me though

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well i took the truck to shop today to look at the brakes. when i took off my left rear drum half of the shoe snapped off. also one of the springs was broken. and my pads are really thin. i have a new pair of pads, a new pair of shoes, and a hardware kit for the rear waiting for me to install them on wednesday.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got the drums done today the front will be getting done tomorrow.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

the brakes are all done and they feel great. it took me a while since i was fighting rust and i had to use some of my free time helping my teacher finish up some work in the shop.