boggling misfire problem. Help!!!

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by undrpressure4, Nov 4, 2011.

1. undrpressure4

undrpressure4 New Member

trying to figure this one out and no luck yet. 03 Ranger 3.0 89k my wife was driving the other day went thru a puddle of water and then truck started misfiring. CEL flashing, ran code #5,6 cyl misfire. I pulled plugs looked very worn so I replaced plugs and wires. Started up same problem. So then I pulled fuel rail and found pieces of what looked like fuel filter in rail and in the tops of the injectors. I pulled all injectors out and cleaned, also cleaned fuel rail, took of fuel filter blew lines out and replaced filter. Put all back together and runs worse now Cel flashing, # 2,5,6 misfire. Checked injectors with stethoscope and all clicking. If I pull the plug wire off of cyl 5, or 6 it sparks to the plug but when I pull away from plug there is no change in engine, runs the same. If I pull wire off of one of the plugs that are not misfiring engine changes very noticeably. I pulled the new plugs out and still look brand new, all other plugs have a little bit of carbon on them. Not sure what to check for now. Sorry for such a long post.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

What kind of plugs are you using? Also is it flex fuel?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. do that same test with the spark plug out but do it at night when dark to see if there is also sparking around the wire that you can not see in daylight, could be bad wire too along with bad plug, I have seen many spark outisde of the cylinder, screw it back in and no change was bad plug. can look good but still be bad internally

5. OP
    undrpressure4

undrpressure4 New Member

running motorcraft plat. Flex fuel truck. took out plugs 5,6. Plug 5 black as could be, plug 6 wet with fuel no carbon. Started truck held plug 5 to head and seemed to spark fine, did the same with plug 6, same results. Not sure what to do. Maybe weak coil not sure.

6. OP
    undrpressure4

undrpressure4 New Member

changed CPS no change!!