blinker problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by hazard-maine, Aug 12, 2012.

1. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

so i put switchback leds in the running/turn signal lights, and the running light part works but now when i use the blinker, both the white and amber lights stay on and a weird noise coming from the dash, whats the problem and how do i fix it

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. flasher gone bad, or a bulb burnt out but I would go with the flasher or a smashed wire

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Is it a fast clicking noise in the dash?

5. OP
    hazard-maine

very fast

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

7. OP
    hazard-maine

and can i get a quick walk threw on how to swap it out?

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Yup... behind your dash (behind floor console and upward), look to the right, you will see a rectangular box. Open it, there is a big blue square relay. THAT is your turn signal relay. Pull it out, plug the new one in and you are set.

9. OP
    hazard-maine

can you grab me a picture of said box? so i can do this without flipping out a swearing because i cant find a box?

10. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I cant right now. Just go in your truck, use a flash light and look to the right..you'll see it. If you lack fingers, then yes, you will be flipping out and swearing. Other than that, you will be fine. You can find the relays at some auto parts stores, but some may not work. Thats why I ended up just getting one from that ebay seller.

11. OP
    hazard-maine

i just bought the one you showed me on ebay, and ill look for it and i have the lack of brain to hand communication

12. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You will be fine, wiggle out the old relay and then plug in the new one.

13. OP
    hazard-maine

14. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Depending on the type of switchback led, both the yellow and white may stay on like that. Unless they're the $100 switchback leds that alternate Y/W, both will be on at the same time.

I've been working on a mod to utilize the inexpensive switchback leds so they work like the expensive ones.

15. OP
    hazard-maine

these ones wont flash. both will light up and stay untill i stop. and when i use the blinker, the tails wont flash now so it must be the blinker relay

16. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Do the rears light up at all? If they arent blinking real fast, there may be an issue with the switchbacks. Usually when you convert to LED's you will get the hyperflash without the right relay, and ALL turn signals flash.

17. OP
    hazard-maine

the rears light up with i turn the lights on, and the hazards work on the switch backs, just not the blinkers, and the tails are a different led

18. OP
    hazard-maine

okay so all the lights turn on, the hazards works, but the turn signal doesnt flash

19. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

OK a month ago there was talk about a “Switchback”.

Help me out, what “switchback” are we talking about here, has to do with the directionals yes but… ?