Bleeding coolant

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Redneck_ranger, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Okay, so she just broke down on me on Friday night. Originally thought it was a radiator hose that blew. Managed to limp it home over the course of friday night and saturday morning, a 30 mile voyage. Somehow, it made it. Can't even imagine how. Turns out, it was two different things... Water pump and the thermostat housing and gasket... My buddy and I replaced the water pump over the course of saturday morning/afternoon and sunday morning/afternoon. With the water pump fixed, we resolved the issue to it being just the thermostat housing. Not exactly sure what it would take to fix it, but I had to take it to the garage because of a time restraint.... Is there anything else that it might possibly be besides them two things? And if I don't make any sense, let me know. Because between saturday and sunday, I must've put well over twenty hours of work into the truck... So, I'm a tiny little bit tired. lol :D

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

i have to be honest its to early for me to read or think about this so i will come back later today hahaha

4. 99rangerguy

99rangerguy New Member

It happened to me a few months ago. I had one mechanic tell me it was a blown head gasket, then I went to my mechanic and he told me it was a miss. I had to replace the number 3 spark plug, and the wires. Now it drives a ton better.

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

20 hrs to do a water pump? Ouch dude. Good luck. Sounds like you fixed it.

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Nope... Now it's the thermostat. Another $350 repair at a mechanic, because I'm stuck at school and it's stuck at home.

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

WHAT?!?!? $350 for a THERMOSTAT? Are they on crack? Thats an hours job TOPS and a $20 part.....

8. Demon

agreed if u have the 4.0 same as mine its like easy as hell

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

That's the estimate they gave me. I also need a pinion seal done, but I don't think that's that much.

10. Btm757

Btm757 New Member

I replaced the thermostat housing and the sensors on it for around 150 and a couple hours of my time. I have a 04 4.0 sohc.

Not sure what engine you have but that price you gave is a little much

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

4.0 SOHC, same as you. Whoops, forgot to include that in the specs lol

12. Demon

remember what i told u on the other forum get to that seal

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It's getting done today. I bought the part and fluid, hoping to get it done saturday or sunday, but never got the chance to do it because of the water pump. So my mechanic should be doing it today, after he fixes the thermostat.