Bed Liner the Flares?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Freemans 00, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Ive asked a million times already but I need advice yet again. Ok my fender flares are grey and make the truck look nasty, so I was thinking of using the Bondo Bedliner that I used on my body line to do the flares in. So Has anyone bedlined there fender flares? How well did it hold up? And jow did you prep? Pictures please.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I just sprayed it straight on and it stuck because it was textured already. It held up well. Rustoleum truck bed coating.

When I bought the truck

[​IMG]

Rustoleum Textured

[​IMG]

Rustoleum bedliner

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. OP
    Freemans 00

I hate spray cans its like to good to be true kinda thing plus I dont like using them

5. I find em to be easier to use and easier to paint with

6. OP
    Freemans 00

really spray and hit some things or roll and straight do work? lol

7. Nice even coats, mask off the surroundings. Easy as eating cake

8. OP
    Freemans 00

Cake hurts my teeth so its not that easy lol

9. Roflmfao. Fail

10. OP
    Freemans 00

to many conversations lol BUMP for tomorrow

11. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

lol..... I JUST posted this thread in regards to a new spray-on bedliner. Literally like 10 minutes ago. lol... http://www.rangerforum.net/f31/anybody-use-dupli-color-bed-armor-aerosol-3930/

Okay....I did my chrome bumper back in early '07, did the flares, valence and redid the bumper in early '08. I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. My prep is as follows: scuff with 220, wash them off and air dry, tack cloth wipe, Dupli-Color prep wipe and air dry, Dupli-Color Adhesion Promotor(aka clear primer), then on went the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating.

It takes a few test sprays to learn how to shoot it with the rattle can, but you'll get it. If you spray too close, you'll get no texture...just THICK color. If you spray too far away, you'll get little coverage and no texture. I want to say I shot with the can about 14-18" away. Probably 3 coats, enough for full coverage. Let them dry for a couple days before installation. I suggest maybe painting them in a flat-black plastic paint(preferably from Dupli-Color so they'll all work with eachother without any reactions). Mine were already flat black so it required less coverage to color change the flares.

The finish of the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating Aerosol is very kind to the hand washer. No fibers being tugged out of the wash mitt. This is something that just IS NOT something a roll-on coating can be kind to. It's smooth, yet still somewhat textured. I would even say it's less textured than that of a "textured" rattle can from Home Depot or Ace.

I mentioned when I did them above for a reason....currently in process of prepping them for a re-do. I feel the prep I did to them made them last alot longer than if no prep were done at all. The leading edges of the front flares are starting to chip. And you can tell they are a shade or two lighter than they used to be when it's really bright outside. Those reasons and me doing a brake master cylinder swap a month or so ago and not being wise with brake fluid led me to removing the flares and readying them for a recoat.

How about some pics!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some more recent shots showing the shade after 4-5 years...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for color comparsons sake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I sprayed my rocker panels a year or so ago & it's holding up really well.
    I used the duplicolor in the blue can. Had to scotchbrite everything & mask off/wipe down with alcohol before spraying, but 3-4 coats later & it looks great. Even did my tailgate with it. I've been contemplating spraying the entire truck with it.

It has a slight texture, but it's not rough at all.

On the flares, you may need to scuff the surface a little more for better adhesion or even use a self etching primer or adhesion promoter due to the plastic on the flares.

I painted some hella light covers with it & it flaked off after a week or so :thumbdown: I've since re-painted them a dozen times & finally have them looking nice... had to sand all the crud off & spray self etching primer, then a few coats of satin black.

13. OP
    Freemans 00

When doing my rockers I got a little crazy and hit the flares on the edges and it seemed to hold up real good with me picking at it and messing with them its on there for good I think. And the bed liner I used isnt rough at all It looks real rough but its smooth.

14. OP
    Freemans 00

Ok question how much lift do you have lol. Truck looks amazing very nice job

15. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

The pics show different heights due to slightly different setups and wear and mods, but it's a 4" Superlift w/ Fox coil-overs and 3" bodylift. Estimate without taking tires into consideration, it's approx 8.5" over stock.

Compared to a cranked bar truck on 32's...
    [​IMG]

16. OP
    Freemans 00

superlift=super huge bucks by far my favorite truck not to much and done right

17. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Thanks man. She had her butt ugly stage a few years ago. haha.