Bed line Question

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Freemans 00, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Just got a quick question. Im going to be bed lining up to my lower door skin and was just wondering the best sand paper to use for this little project and do you have to prime after you get the paint off? I heard from somewhere you didnt. And what would you do about if the paint is already chipped off?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I used 180 grit on mine today, but you may want a little rougher. You really don't need any specific grit of paper, as long as the surface isn't smooth and shiny. As for the primer, never heard of anyone using it. The bedliner ain't gonna come out any differently colored if you put it on

4. OP
    Freemans 00

I just thought it would help with it sticking. So make no shines and then roll it on. Simple. and Im doing the same thing you are doing in your last post

5. Alright then. Yeah, I didn't use primer. I'm sure you can if you really want to... It can't really hurt anything. And I didn't sand either. Just halfassed it. lol If you're following my ruts, don't get too close with a pressure washer... Haha

6. OP
    Freemans 00

lol Ill never use a pressure washer on truck again. Took some of my rusted rocker panel as a souvenir lol

7. lol Then you should be alright. Go ahead and sand it down to remove the clear coat and scuff the area up, and apply primer if you want to. It may/may not help with sticking. I never heard/tried it before, so I can't speak for that.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You can get scuff pads for things like that instead of sand paper, you will only need one scuff pad. If you are doing herculiner, I strongly suggest cleaning that area with Xylene after scuffing it, then air dry completely and then do the roll on bed liner.

9. OP
    Freemans 00

ill do one better scuff real good washe truck let dry for a day and the next day roll it on a goos 2-3 times

10. Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck man! Def post pics!

11. OP
    Freemans 00

will do when I get to it may be a few weeks lol Hell may not even be able to tell difference black on black

12. You will. Just don't clear coat it. My buddy has a black lifted 07 silverado and did it, and it looks good with the dull finish