Auto Dim Explorer Mirror

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by buggman, Dec 14, 2011.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

After finally installing my auto dim mirror (with a few mods) I never really got a chance to see how it works... until tonight.

Had to run some errands this afternoon/evening & when it was time to head home, it had got dark. Never even thought about the mirror until a line of cars behind me with their high beams on decided to ride my butt for several miles. When I looked up in the mirror, it was darkening & I didn't get blinded like I used to.

Have to say this is one really handy little mod & I highly recommend it, either the full blown mod with headlight controls or the "light" version (pun intended) like I did with just the auto dim functions. :yes:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i love mine although i gotta go back thru it and rewire it......

4. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

What do you mean by full blown mod?

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

where it turns the headlights and running lights on..... he has it only hooked up to dim the mirror.... he controls when the lights come on and turn off.....

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I agree, one of my favorite mods!

7. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i love mine too...and mine turns the lights on too...freaking awesome!

8. Hurley

Hmmm.... Hey Clinton, you might have to find one for me

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

they are sweet and you need to get one......

10. Hurley

How much do they usually go for?

11. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i think i got mine off of clinton for around 50-60 cant remember exactly......

12. djfllmn

i paid about 50 for mine from clinton and he helped install them

13. Hurley

If I got one I would have to led it

14. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

there's nothing really to led in the autodim.....

15. djfllmn

nope the only thing that lights up is the green LED telling you the autolamps are on

16. OP
    buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Yea, I like to be in complete control of everything so I didn't use the auto light function, but I did crack the housing open & install a mini toggle switch & a green & red led. Now I can even control when the mirror auto dims :thumbsup:

I just had an idea... why couldn't you use the headlight control function of the auto dim mirror to control something else ??? Hmmmm, now I've got something else to work on :p