Another awesome weekend- Pics!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by doyouquaxu, Aug 12, 2012.

1. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

2 years ago on August 14th there was a gnarly crash during a sanctioned desert race in southern California's deserts that left spectators dead and many more injured after a race truck broke and unfortunately rolled into the crowd. The race is typically held the second weekend of August, and this past Saturday I made the treck to the location to pay my respects. Here's what went down:

Friday night I was supposed to meet up with some friends in their built Bronco at 8PM to caravan out when I got off work. At 7:45 I got a call that they were broken down. The truck wouldn't move forward no matter what they tried. They told me to go on without them, and after stopping on my way out to drop off some parts for work, I hit dirt around 11 PM. I turned on my lights and noticed that my dust light (rear facing amber warning light) wasn't working. I got out and hit it with my hand a few times thinking that it was just a loose connection. That resulted in me getting shocked, eff that! I then met up with some friends already out there and had a few adult sodas while watching the meteor shower. I swear I saw a UFO, I've never seen a meteor that traveled down, sideways, down, and sideways before disappearing. My friends in their Bronco arrived around 12:30, and after that incident they didn't have any other transmission issues. After **** talking and drinking sodas till 4 AM, I called it a night. Sleeping on the passenger seat SUCKS, and waking up at 6 AM to a big v8 race truck blowing past your rolled down window sucks just as much.

Saturday our group decided to do this run to go check out some Indian Drawings on a cave, or a rock, or something like that. It was supposed to be a 20 mile round trip. After a few miles, the Bronco had some issues. This time, it was the battery that had cracked and was leaking acid. That stuff is NO joke. Even from 20 feet down wind, I had trouble breathing. Luckily, one of the trucks had 2 batteries wired up. We were back up and running in no time. After 3 or 4 miles of race course driving at slow speeds, we got onto some nice powerline roads. Nothing seems cooler than driving at freeway speeds in the dirt with the windows down and music blasting. We never could find the drawings, and after realizing we'd have to walk to them gave up and headed home. Since we had a stock ranger and a stock chevy 1500 with us, we decided to go back all on power line roads instead of the race course so that they could keep up. A trip that shoulda been like 2 hours total ended up being 6, and closer to 50 miles. We came back and had to cross the dry lake bed, which was cool because Infiniti was out there filming a new commercial, complete with a Porsche Cayenne that had a camera boom on the roof.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F250 race truck w/out it's body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supercharged T100
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the run, battery replacement
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So much fun
    [​IMG]

After lunch, temps had risen to around 105*. In the distance, we started to see some dark clouds appear. We then saw lightening, and before long were in a torrential downpour. It was coming down so hard that even sitting in my truck with the wipers on full blast I couldn't see out my window. Naturally, some of us went down to the lake bed to do some Tokyo Drifting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chick taking the pics was no photographer, and these were her "best." My codriver is in the top left, and I found some nice and bumpy roads before the rain. I also encouraged her to go out and dance in the rain. Impromptu wet t-shirt contest FTW!

After that I just cruised around to meet up with other friends, and finally a moment of silence around 6 PM.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, it was a great time despite the reason for going out there.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    doyouquaxu

edit: pics in first post work now

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Wow! Looks like a great time man!

5. OP
    doyouquaxu

it was a good time. if anything, it made me want to dump more money into my truck to get it to the level of the others in the group. keeping up with the Jones'...

6. FFparker

FFparker Shamrock

Any pictures of the wet T-shirt contest?

7. OP
    doyouquaxu

mental pictures only, sorry lol

8. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

nice man looks like a ton of fun, i need me some desert lol

9. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Looks like an awesome time. I wish I lived by a desert

10. Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

see lots from DR

11. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

damn you! you make me want a ranger like yours

12. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

x2 that ranger is badass. that looks like it was an awesome time.

13. OP
    doyouquaxu

thanks for the compliments. my truck is nowhere near the level of some of the others out there, but i still manage to have fun in it. it's a good time for everyone.

14. hazard-maine

well if thats the case then why dont you just drop it off here and it will be at the top level of the rest around

15. OP
    doyouquaxu

haha, buy it!

16. hazard-maine

free shipping?

17. OP
    doyouquaxu

well ya gotta at least come out here to test drive it in the desert first.

18. hazard-maine

you can bring it to the maine desert here

19. OP
    doyouquaxu

does that even exist??

20. maine desert, now thats funny lol

21. hazard-maine

its an island desert, pretty much a giant sand pit