Aftermarket temp gauge

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by slipknotfan67, Feb 16, 2011.

1. slipknotfan67

slipknotfan67 New Member

Where would be the best place to put the sensor of an aftermarket coolant temperature gauge, as my stock gauge has stopped working? I have a 1990 ranger with a 2.3l engine 4 cyl.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

the best place would probably be the oem position the only thing you would have to do is take some teflon tape and put it on the threads of the new guage.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  4. OP
    slipknotfan67

slipknotfan67 New Member

The oem position is extremely hard to get to unless you have a lift, I though there might be a top side area I could get an accurate temp reading. Plus I can never actually get the info of what the oem position is, I know generally where it is located. I know it has a temp sensor unit and a temp sender unit, one goes to the ECM the other to the gauge cluster itself, but I'm not sure which is which. Does anyone know what the wire looks like coming out of the unit I need to replace with the aftermarket temp sensor?

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if the housing is big enough on the thermostat housing you could drill and tap a hole in it. just gotta get a new gasket and make sure it doesnt break

6. OP
    slipknotfan67

slipknotfan67 New Member

I think I have found the oem position, it is the sender with one wire coming out, not the sensor which has two wires coming out and goes to the ECM. Can anyone verify this, since I have no lift I may actually take the driver side fender off to get to this