A/C problem

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by skialfs, Sep 7, 2012.

1. skialfs

skialfs New Member

Hi everyone, brand new member. I have owned a 91 Ranger Supercab (3.0L V6) since new. I have a Dealer installed A/C system which has worked flawlessly since new. Never added refrigerant or serviced in anyway. The truck has 109K on it and has spent it's entire life in Northern NJ. This past weekend the High Pressure Discharge line/hose from the compressor to the condenser burst while at idle, releasing the refrigerant and oil all over the side of my battery. The line burst,(the underneath side of rubber hose) about 3 inches from the condenser. Here are my questions.

Q1) what makes this line burst at that point? Age, problem in another component like blocked orifice tube or faulty high pressure switch? Is this normal?

Q2) I have checked online and I'm not locating a replacement discharge line for this model, retail on the hose is about $300, and is out of stock at websites. Should I write this one off or is there hope for my beloved Ranger(actually my wife's and she is in love with this truck!) Looks like the dryer is cheap and available. I don't know about R-12 availability either.
    Thanks everyone, could really use some experienced advice from those of you who have successfully rebuilt these systems back to working order.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Sounds like black death. It's where the Refridgerant eats away at the inside of the hose.

You need to replace your purge canister along with your line and get it recharged.

4. and change the orifice tube

5. OP
    skialfs

skialfs New Member

Thanks for the replies, now is the orifice tube in the back of the compressor or somewhere else?