97 Ranger 4.0 Crack in upper intake?

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Crazed, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Crazed

Crazed New Member

So it seems like my truck has a massive vacuum leak. I found a bunch of hoses burnt or broken and replaced them, to no avail it still idles rough and shakes the truck at a stop. So I got the trusty carb and throttle body cleaner out and sprayed around and got a spike near the rear of the upper intake. Are they known to crack? Is there a line back there I can't see?

Also, I think the motor has been swapped with a different year. It has thick intake runners with a spot for the throttle and cruise cable on the upper intake manifold itself. The local junkyard swore they pulled off a 97 explorer. The runners are thinner and no place for the throttle cable to mount. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:: Also sometimes when coming to a stop it idles very high, 25-3000 and gradually comes down back to the shaking and rattling around 700. It is a 5 speed manual.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I can almost garuntee you it's cracked.