92' 2.3L Ranger will not start!

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by KaiserKrebs, Jul 4, 2009.

1. KaiserKrebs

KaiserKrebs New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum, and seeking some advice and or help diagnosing my 1992 2.3L EFI engine. The truck has roughly 106,000 miles on it and until a few weeks ago ran like a top. I was cruising along the freeway, and began to lose power, there was little accelerator response, and I downshifted in an attempt to keep the engine running. Just as the engine was about to quit, it took off like a rocket and I was back up to freeway speed, and made it about another three miles or so. At this point I experienced the same power loss, and downshifting did not work. I made it to the shoulder, and as I couldn't get it restarted had to call a tow truck.

I am an DIY type of guy, and have performed most of the routine maintenance on my vehicle. I have the haynes manual for the truck, but what Iv'e done to this point hasn't worked.

Firstly, the engine was low on oil due to a leaking rear main seal. However the engine still turns over, so it wasn't seized. I added oil. The battery was pretty old, so I bought a new battery and replaced. I replaced the fuel filter thinking it may have been clogged, then I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and lastly replaced the coils because I was getting weak yellow sparks with the old ones. Spark is much improved now, but engine still will not start. I replaced the plugs and wires about two months ago.

The engine turns over, but will not fire. I put an OBD-1 diagnostic tool on it as well, and did not have any fault codes with the engine off. The timing belt is ok as well. Could it be a faulty crankshaft timing sensor? that would be a bear to replace. I know that the timing is not adjustable by the home mechanic. Iv'e checked just about all the electrical connections, and couldn't find anything loose.

Also attempted to reset the fuel inertia switch as well, so at this point I'm scratching my head, and feeling that the problem may be beyond my abilities to fix. Would appreciate any helpful advice, Thank you.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. WesternPaRanger

WesternPaRanger New Member

It's possible that your cat is clogged and by downshifting you jarred the honeycomb loose and then it lodged itself again. Just a thought.

4. vanillathunder72

vanillathunder72 New Member

YA those cats are a pain in the ass arent they

5. Ranger2232

Ranger2232 New Member

Sounds to me like a Cat too. My buddys truck was doing the same thing. He went with it for a while. he just had to keep his rpm's up to keep the motor running until it did the same. He took the cat off and it fired right up.