4x4 switch not working

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by ttscooks10, Dec 12, 2017.

1. ttscooks10

ttscooks10 New Member

hi,i have a 98 ranger.i turn the 4x4 switch from 2wd to 4wd high.it just clicks a few times and the 4wd high and 4wd low flashes on the dash and then goes out.the light flashes intermintally going down the road.any ideas?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

4. OP
    ttscooks10

ttscooks10 New Member

thanx ill give it a try.i changed the motor.theres a wire coming out of the back of the transfer case.the new motor didn't have it.i spliced it together and bypassed the plug for it.what is that wire for?it switches into 2wd and 4wd high but nothing for 2wd low.in 4wd high it makes a clicking noise underneath.sounds like its not engaging the whole way when I drive.will it stay in 4wd high if I take the motor out of the way and change it by hand ?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

In my '93 splash, you have to have the clutch depressed, the tranny in neutral, and completely stopped for it to go into 4wd low. Since you have a '98, your spedometer is probably on the same speed sensor as the shift module, but if it isn't, check your speed sensor. I'm not sure what conditions apply for an automatic tranny to get into 4wd low. You can indeed take the shift motor off and manually put it into 2wd. No clue what position that is though. Did you change just the motor, or the whole assembly that shifts it. That rubber stop in there might have wore out and now the shift module is confused. That is if you changed only the motor.

6. ZappyBear

ZappyBear Member

And, did you do the diagnostics on the shift module? The light should flash with the connectors unplugged and the white button pressed.

7. OP
    ttscooks10

ttscooks10 New Member

I only changed the motor.ill try the diagnostics on the module one day this week.the back of the transfer case has markings for 2wd and 4wd locations.the rod is shapped like a triangle.im guessing I can just point it at the location I need?thanx tim.

8. OP
    ttscooks10

ttscooks10 New Member

I just replaced the motor.im going to try the diagnostics tomorrow.does the truck need to be stopped and in neutral to switch to 4wd?its a 5 speed.thanx tim