4.11 or 4.56?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by rangerguy95, Apr 15, 2013.

1. rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

I blew up the ring and pinion in my front diff so I was just gunna save for higher gear ration for when I wanna put on 33x12.50s which would be better to go to 4.11 or 4.56

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Do you do city or highway as majority of your driving?

4.56 will give you better acceleration, and city MPG. But 4.10 will give you better highway Mpg.

Personally, I do lots of highway, so when I get 33's this spring, I'm staying with my 4.10 gears.

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Correct terminology is a lower gear ratio (which is actually a higher numerical number), which is why there's much confusion.

If you're going to go ahead and do gears, obviously go with 4.56. Especially since you're a 3.0 owner considering 33's. DON'T FORGET TO MATCH THE REAR TOO. Just remember the cost....can't do one without doing the other. If you're not prepared to shell out a grand (or more) for front & rear gears, just go whatever your stock ratio is. If your stock ratio is 3.73, seriously consider finding some 4.10 axles to put under it and call it good.

If you can afford it, gearing it up is the best thing you can do for a 3.0 on bigger tires. My friend's 2wd Edge 3.0 on 35's 5spd actually goes fairly well with 4.56's. Keeps up with my 4x4 4.88 35's 4.0 5spd. But mines more well rounded, just as your 3.0 on 33's and 4.56 will be.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  5. OP
    rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

I do mostly city driving and woods driving, highway on holidays of course, but yea i wanna max out at 33s no bigger, so 4.56s is the way to go? cuz I am gunna do front and back cuz my front is blown up and my rear is leaking since the pinion seal blew

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

She'll be higher in the rpm's on the highway until the 33's are put on. But it'll definitely be great for city driving, hilly road driving, and all around driving once the 33's are on. Not to mention, fuel mileage will be acceptable and drivability will be awesome. Gears were one of the best things I did for mine. Esp being a manual and the SOHC that LOOOOOVE rpm's.

Take note, doing gears isn't a simple bolt-on.... requires specialized tools and patience for an accurate and long living install. Don't forget proper break-in procedures...don't wanna overheat them! I was going to do mine, but the $400 or so in tools was more than my hook-up price from a local axle guy to install my r&p's in loose axles.

7. OP
    rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

I've done gears before, I had a 95 f150 with 3.33s for whatever reason with 33 in tires (bought it that way) blew them up one night hill climbing and thus I put in 3.55s which ended up fixing my speed sensor somehow so it all worked out in the end haha

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I have run 33s with the OEM 4.10s for a while now and both city and hyway driving $ucks, trails are ok with 4x low but not as good as I want it.

As soon as I get a few of these other projects out of the way I will change to 4.56s.

Go 4.56 as Fx4wannabe01 has stated, only way to go.

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I love my 4.56s. They would be perfect for 33s and a 3.0L. I highly suggest using Yukon gears and install kits as they are top of the line. The Yukon install kits always use Timken or Koyo bearings (best of the best) and have many more shims than other kits.

10. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

With my 4.0 on 35s I run 4.56 and the highway is not horrible . I would def go 4.56 on 3.0

11. OP
    rangerguy95

rangerguy95 New Member

Alright, thanks guys! Really appreciate the input!

12. camodown

camodown Member

Yukons are good but I haven't had any issues with my G2 gears. Don't forget the master install kit as well.

13. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Yes a must do.
    Also, replace anything that looks worn or just do it so you won't have to take things apart again.
    Check the wheel bearing, they should run smooth and quiet.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  14. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

Ah. Didn't realize you were 3.0. I change my response to 4.56 as a must.

15. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

OK then do you have this done ?

Did you go 4.56s ?

If you did it, how is it working out ?

16. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Just doing some quick math.
    4.56 gears w/33" tall tires yields a very similar engine rpm @ 60 mph as 3.45 gears w/25" tires (OD not factored in).
    For hiway driving, can't beat the 3.45's on my '98 2wd, but the setup tends to give the impression of ABSOLUTELY NO bottom end.

...in my mind, you might wanna think about even shorter gears for trail running. Maybe 4.88's?

Dean

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  17. 93 4x4

93 4x4 New Member

go with 456's

18. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

yes the number look similar BUT when it comes time spin those tires it will take more torque to turn 3.45/25’’ tires than the 4.56/33” tires.
    Also weight might be equal but it is not the same.

4.10s on the highway, with 33” and a 3.0L, is OK if you don’t mind shifting a little on hills or making the auto work some and if the A/C is on shifting more than a little is required or you will slow from 65 to 50 very fast.

There is more to moving the vehicle than the right gearing, there is torque and the rpm range that will bring out the HP of the motor.

Find out the best rpm for the motor at cruising speed, max torque or max HP.
    Then determine the tire size that works for you and looks like you want.
    And THEN make the decision on what gear will get you to and maintain the rpm you need, that simple !

19. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Please explain.

20. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Lower gears produce more torque by allowing the engine to turn more rpm when attempting to turn the tires. Something that is not taken into consideration when rehearing is the weight of the vehicle, tires and wheels. The weight of the vehicle is constant but by changing the tires and wheels to usually a heavier set you increase the torque needed to move them or you need to increase the rpm or the motor to raise the torque output to a level that will move the weight easier.

If you have an auto then the torque converter increases the torque ratio to appear to be running lower gears and would work better the the higher ratio.

Sorry I am not very good at describing things but I hope that works for you.

Ltr

21. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Thank you, Scrambler.
    That all made sense, except that you forgot to take into account that the taller tires will make up for the shorter axle ratio.
    This was the point of my post.
    If the two setups yield close to the same RPM at highway speed, then the engine doesn't see enough of a change for it to matter and the driver will notice nothing more than increased ground clearance.
    I am under the impression that the OP is looking for a little more "dig" off-road, this is why I suggested going with even shorter gears.

Dean

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013